Neighbors utilizing my 20 cu yard Dumpster!

Page 1 of 2
As many of you know, roll away dumpsters have gotten very expensive. We rented a 20 yarder for $400 dollars in Maryland! Anyway, they don't like them over filled or over weight, and ours already is just about full of plaster, old windows and doors, scrap wood, insulation and the like. Yet someone likes to put trash and yard-waste in there at night!
What are the legal ramifications here. Obviously I can't just throw all of their stuff in the middle of the street, but it isn't fair to have PAY extra to be the neighborhood local dump for a few weeks.

Put a lock on it?
You could sit and watch for someone to dump stuff. Toss it in their front yard once they're gone.

Try tarping it at night. It won't stop someone who is very determined but it may stop others. It will keep the rain out and help prevent the overweight costs. Wet plaster is very heavy.
Bruce

Neighbor of mine had that problem. He waited until someone dumped a big bunch of stuff in, then told the man to clean it all back out or he'd call the police and report him for illegal dumping. No problem after that.
Bob

So that would mean only one person was doing all this in that case. I believe it.
There was a day in NYC that they arrested one guy, and I read a couple days later that while he was in jail, subway crime dropped by a third.

a dumpster is like a swimming pool on a hot day, it's hard to resist for some. our renovation project was so big [and loud and annoying to the neighbors] in the late 1980's that we invited all our neighbors to top off our 40 yard dumpsters before pickup so we got more our flat rate money's worth with some good will. you'll make some great neighbors. you may find your neighborhood's full of ebay-able antiques in the attics as well as the basement clutter.
buffalobill wrote:

I rented a dumpster for a flat rate when I decided I just had too much crap laying around. After several days of throwing out stuff in dribs and drabs, I decided even after I'd dumped all the stuff I needed to get rid of, there was still going to be plenty of room left for others. I visited my neighbors and offered them the use of it. Made brownie points and scored some nice wooden coat hangers out of the deal.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

First you do some rooting. If they throw household trash in it there is bound to be some junk mail with their address on it. Look up their phone number, call them, explain the situation, and ask them to come take their trash back. Or... neatly pile the items at the foot of their driveway. Not on their property! Don't ask me how I know this. Or... Make a sign that says: "John Doe! Stop using my dumpster as your trash can" Or (better than all), make a big sign asking people not to use the dumpster and why. The fact is that most civilians are totally ignorant to what it costs to rent a dumpster. They think it's free and can't imagine why anyone would mind. You need to educate the dumb bastards.

Too much work in your suggestions. Let the law work for you, while you watch and enjoy. If you have their address from discarded mail, you call the police. Unless they're too busy dreaming of Krispy Kreme donuts, the police will pay the offenders a visit and explain civil traspass to them. If it continues, they will arrest them.

look like a Dick.

Hey...they're also your employees.

Well, what do you call people who receive money from you, in return for doing a job? You pay taxes. Some of that money pays their salaries. When you call them, you expect a result. That's an employee.

Actually I would call that an employee of the city since I do not actually pay their salary directly.
At a stretch you might consider it a contractor but even contractors are not your employee, they work for a business you contract for services with.
When I buy something at a store and pay for it, I don't consider the sales people my employees even though profits from my sale pay their salary. Do you?
Taxes are no different than paying for services provided. Main difference is you do not have a choice.
Cops are here to serve you not work for you, have a little respect.

Sorry, but this is wacky, ESPECIALLY that last line. For reasons nobody can explain, a very short group of professions thinks it somehow exists above the business model. Customers feed the nonsense by saying "have a little respect". Why? Doctors call their customers "patients", but the fact is, they are customers. Some doctors get really bent when they are told this.
Cops are employees.

When you see a cop, do you get all teary-eyed and hear bagpipes?

I think that could well be true. I used to work for a multi-state corporation that had a WATS line available from many many extensions by dialing 8, so we could talk to our plants in other states.
I'm not so ignorant, but I thought we could only call the 7 plants we had in other states, and that it was a flat rate. But I can afford my own long distance, that is, I only call as much as I can afford.
Anyhow, 9 months after I got there, they announced that they had installed an expensive software program that would keep track of which extensions long distance calls were made from.
I wondered why they didn't just tell us that they paid per call. I was convinced if people knew that, most wouldn't call.

So I didn't use their phone, even if I could have gotten away with it.

I should say, they paid per call and per minute.

Your WATS example is similar to the much more simple case of any use of a business phoneline. Many small businesses have phone service in which they are charged for every outgoing call. There is a fixed monthly charge (a few times greater than residential rate) plus a per-call additional charge. I'm not saying that this is true for every business, but it is common.
The average employee or average visitor to a store doesn't realize that those non-business calls are costing the owner. Explain that fact and many of them will be more considerate.