Neighbors from hell

Page 1 of 2
This past March, some white trailer trash moved in across the way from me. Right afterwards, they began running a generator 24/7 to supply themselves with power (supposedly they can't afford to have electricity run to their sty). I complained to the township supervisors about the constant noise and the idiots did quit running the generator at night, but I've had to listen to that racket hour after hour, day after day, week after week for six months. Every time I open a door or window, every time I want to sit on my deck, it's there. Given that we had 90+ degree heat through most of the summer, I felt trapped in my closed up house because listening to that generator drives me nuts after a short while.
I went back to the supervisors last week and found out the township does not have a noise/disturbing the peace ordinance. But the supervisors told me they've had numerous complaints on different matters about these jerks, including from the sewerage inspector. Seems the sow living in the trailer has no sewage, craps in a bucket, and hauls the bucket to her mother's place to flush her wastes away. Ye gods.
Today when I got home from work, I had planned to cook on the grill since it's a warm, sunny evening - but the yahoos across the way are burning. When I opened the door to my deck, my whole house filled with what smells like burning plastic. I looked over their way and saw thick clouds of black smoke rising above the trees.
I've thought of several ways of dealing with the situation, all of them immoral and most of them illegal. But I'm at my wits end with this - I can't see spending the rest of my life listening to that damn generator and putting up with the other nonsense this crew is dishing out.
Sorry about the long rant, but any suggestions about where I should go from here to regain my quality of home life and sanity would be most appreciated.
Sugar in the generator's fuel tank.
ken snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

It's unclear what you think that will accomplish. Were you aware that sugar does not dissolve in gasoline?
--
Regards,
--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info
~^Johnny^~ wrote:

Wear bullet proof vest and helmet while doing so.
snafu wrote:

Greetings Snafu,
I heard that you were thinking of selling and I am always interested in an investment at the proper price. Where are you located? How much land does your property consist of? Can you tell me a little about what is there? Anything other than your home? What are you asking for it in an all cash deal to wash your hands of it?
Thanks, William
Wow.
You guys need to learn how to flame. I expected so much more from Usenet. Come over to the Political Forum at www.harmony-central.com and see how it's done
8-P
-phaeton
snafu wrote:

....snip story re: new "neighbor"...

Legally there's not a lot probably unless you can get the municipality to enforce existing code(s).
I suppose you could try under some sort of state nuisance laws or somesuch, but probably would get a judgement and no satisfaction even if there is something you could use in place.
Man... what a mess.
I'm sure all their neighbours on each side of them are just as sick of them as you. Perhaps y'all can plot.... er... I can't think of anything moral or legal either :-(
No solutions, but i'm really sorry you have to put up with that.
There *might* be some local codes regarding habitation in a place without proper septic systems, and you might be able to annoy them with that. If y'all gang up on them with petty stuff you might eventually be able to drive them away. Iknow that's not esp. fair but sometimes you have to look after your own.
Is this actually a mobile home or a house? Rented or owned?
I'm in a place where everyone around me burns their garbage, their grass clippings, their leaves, their piles of tires and their dead pets, so opening windows or going outside can sometimes be a really really bad idea. So I'm moving...
Good luck... Hope you can make some sense from it.
On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 15:48:49 -0500, Duane Bozarth

This will cost some $$, but you might try talking to a lawyer to see if you can bring a civil suit for loss of quiet enjoyment of your home and associated emotional trauma. You'll never get any $$ out of it, but you may be able to get an injunction.
--
To email me directly, remove CLUTTER.

Buy them a propane-powered generator.
: : > : >Sorry about the long rant, but any suggestions about where I should go from : >here to regain my quality of home life and sanity would be most appreciated. : > : : Buy them a propane-powered generator.
No, buy them a muffler; generators don't have to be loud.
I guess there will always be people to feed trolls, won't there?
: This past March, some white trailer trash moved in across the way from me. And what color trash are you?
: Right afterwards, they began running a generator 24/7 to supply themselves : with power (supposedly they can't afford to have electricity run to their : sty). I complained to the township supervisors about the constant noise and You know that's BS and so do most other people.
: the idiots did quit running the generator at night, but I've had to listen : to that racket hour after hour, day after day, week after week for six : months. Every time I open a door or window, every time I want to sit on my : deck, it's there. Given that we had 90+ degree heat through most of the : summer, I felt trapped in my closed up house because listening to that : generator drives me nuts after a short while. Then get out. Move. : : I went back to the supervisors last week and found out the township does not : have a noise/disturbing the peace ordinance. But the supervisors told me : they've had numerous complaints on different matters about these jerks, : including from the sewerage inspector. Seems the sow living in the trailer : has no sewage, craps in a bucket, and hauls the bucket to her mother's place : to flush her wastes away. Ye gods. And how does your sow do it? : : Today when I got home from work, I had planned to cook on the grill since : it's a warm, sunny evening - but the yahoos across the way are burning. How can you do some of the things you said you do and still work? When : I opened the door to my deck, my whole house filled with what smells like : burning plastic. I looked over their way and saw thick clouds of black smoke : rising above the trees. If it was rising above the trees, then it wasn't coming in your house unless you have a very high house built on stilts. : : I've thought of several ways of dealing with the situation, all of them : immoral and most of them illegal. But I'm at my wits end with this - I can't : see spending the rest of my life listening to that damn generator and : putting up with the other nonsense this crew is dishing out. I suspect you might be at your wit's end but not from what you've claiming. : : Sorry about the long rant, but any suggestions about where I should go No, you're not sorry at all. Kaners are easy to recognize. from : here to regain my quality of home life and sanity would be most appreciated.
Try going home.
Whose the troll, the poster or the neighbor?
Since when is gasoline cheaper than electricity off the grid. Maybe the price of gas will curb the generator usage. At $3/ gallon I wonder what it cost to run all day. Burning must be legal where you are cause that would get you an expensive ticket where I live. Just learn the codes and regulations and report every tiny little infraction.
Ultimately moving is your only reliable recourse. If they are renting (they must be) complain to the owner and point out how this has damaged their property value. If all your neighbors make written complaints to the owner they might listen even if it is family they are renting to.

Assuming that the problem isn't ficticious, it's probably because the electric company won't hook them up, for any of a number of reasons.
--Goedjn
PipeDown ( snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net) said...

Who says they are paying $3/gallon? Maybe they are siphoning it out of people's cars. It might be worth spending some time spying, err, observing them so see if they are into any such illegal activities, doccumenting them, and then get the law after them.
If you can't get the law to help on the immediate problems (noise, etc), then use the law to get them in another way!
--
Calvin Henry-Cotnam
Look at it this way, that kind of abuse to a generator can only last so long before it goes bad. What will they do next?
snafu wrote:

Do they own the property or rent? If the latter your municipality may have some rental laws that may be of help.
Do they have kids? Call the local child welfare organization and report the living conditions.
Senior citizens? Call your local senior service organization.
Maybe it's a case of love thy neighbour. Remember Pygmalion? The rain in Spain falls mainly in the plain! Maybe these people need to be helped into the 21 Century. That would take effort of course.
snafu wrote:

[snipped]
Nice try, buddy. It isn't hard to look through your made up story.
--
"Talking to a golf ball won\'t do you any good. Unless you do it while
your opponent is teeing off." -- Bruce Lansky