Need plumbing help

Hi,
I have a leaky bathtub cold water facuet.
It is a cartriage type, but I cannot identify the brand. I get as far as getting the handle and the extension off, but I can't get any further. There is a pipe with the with the cartriage that sits inside a thin chrome pipe. I cannot budge either one. There is no retainer clip holding the cartraige in place.
I can't find an internal pipe wrench to fit the id of the inner pipe and I can't turn the chrome pipe with a strap wrench. The internal pipe however has serrations on it's OD. The only thing I can figure is there must be some sort of socket wrench that will fit the serrations on the inner pipe OD that fits inside the chrome outside pipe.
Anyone got any ideas ?
Thanks
Jim
Jim,
It might help to post a few pictures and then put a link here. Have you tried Googling Faucet Cartridge and then spending some time looking at sites until you find yours? Your "serration" description might be an Allen Wrench. Your thin chrome pipe sounds like a trim piece. Try soaking everything with penetrating oil for a while and then try the strap wrench again.
Dave M.
Jim Z wrote:

Take a photo and being it into the store and see if they can ID it. You may need to stop at a real plumbing supply house. Do so when they are not busy with the professional trade and they will likely help you out.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit