Need piece of steel for project; source?

I need a single piece of sheet steel, approximately 17" x 7" x 1/8" for a project. I haven't checked yet, but I'm guessing Home Depot doesn't carry such items (I know the carry thinner sheet metal, angle iron, metal rods, etc, but I've never seen snything like this there). Any ideas where I can such a thing?

TIA

Dan

Reply to
Dan

Just look under "Steel Suppliers" in the yellow pages or call up your local scrap dealer.

Reply to
Jimbo

Thanks for the reply. I thought about that, I'm thinking their reply would be "sure buddy, how many TONS ya want?" but I guess it's worth a shot.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

You don't mention where you live, but in my town, checking the consumer yellow pages under "steel" gives 3 listings, one of which states "no minimum, no cutting fee." The Business yellow pages gives quite a few more listings.

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman

You might try a local welding shop or two. Many of them have stock similar to what you are looking for and might even cut it to size for you.

Reply to
Grandpa Koca

Look under steel fabricators. They usually have "rems" (remnants) that they will sell pretty cheap. You say "approximately", and if they have one that will work, it will be cheap. If they have to cut it, it may be more. Most job shops are very helpful.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Thanks for the replies. I really was thinking any "commercial" place wouldn't want to bother, but I've been wrong before ;-) I'll give it a shot!

Dan

Reply to
Dan

Dan wrote: ...

Some won't, but many will...the telephone will tell you before you go.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Local welding supply or machine shop or any combination thereof. You'll incur a cutting charge, which will probably be more than the steel itself. You probably want cold-rolled mild steel, in case they ask.

-Frank

Reply to
Frank J Warner

Thanks Frank!

Reply to
Dan

According to Dan :

In my (somewhat) limited experience with largish steel suppliers, they're quite happy to deal with smaller scale customers, because well-treated small scale customers often become bigger ones[+]. One local place (specializes in structural steel for the construction trade, also carries rod/bar, channel, sheet, plate, aluminum and brass) is quite happy to see me show up asking for something as small as a foot of 1" rod (a couple bucks).

I think the guys like the break from the heavy stuff, and a chance to talk to something other than the back end of a truck that's there just long enough to pick up an order. More than once, there's been "What're you making? Oh. Did you think of doing it this way instead?"

There may also be a chain called "Metal Supermarkets" near you, which specializes in small orders. Their prices are high[er], and they'll nickle-and-dime you on cutting fees. But if you want titanium, they're the ones to see ;-)

The large supplier I go to has never charged me cutting fees.

[+] It works, because I've since placed larger orders with them.
Reply to
Chris Lewis

you will have better luck looking under "sheet metal" I work for a shop & people come to the door quite often with simple single requests like that. if you call first , it will be ready when you get there. we would charge about 20 bucks FWIW

Reply to
longshot

Washer at curb??

Some washing machines have pretty thick metal cabinets, since they don't have much of an internal framework, they rely on the cabinet for structural integrity... maybe not 1/8 inch, but close.. may be worth taking a look at one at the curb and seeing if it is thick enough... use a sawzall to cut out what you need... may be worth a try...

Another possibility, call the shop teacher (or whatever more fancy name they have now) at the local high school... maybe he'll sell you what you need..

Reply to
jackjohansson

Look for a local steel supplier or full service machine shop....

Just today I bought some 1/4in plate and had it sheared to size in order to repair a farm implement.....appx 48 x 14in and 48x3in....

Total cost was $53.67

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

I have no idea how the prices work out compared to local sources, buut if all else fails,

is a very CONVENIENT source of small amounts of metals. I've bought stainless steel from them for armor, and some sheet-brass that I may or may not eventually get around to turning into trumpets.

--Goedjn.

Reply to
Goedjn

Wow!!! :(

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Geodjn-They've got 10ga mild steel the exact size I need (7 x 17) for $13.09 & no screwing around (DEFINITELY more convenient than making a bunch of calls/driving all over town). SOLD!

Thanks for the tip!

Dan

Reply to
Dan

Boiler plate is what I got at my local boiler repair shop. Another place real cheap I have gotten steel is my local metal scrap dealer. Prices can vary from 3$ to 40$ depending on where you shop.

Reply to
m Ransley

We have a large supplier here in Las Vegas. They have a "rem pile" of steel, aluminum, and stainless. It is absolutely amazing the good pieces you can get, and steel USED to be $ .30 per pound. Probably more than that now, but your piece would probably be a couple of bucks. That is if the guy charged you for it at all. Lots of times, they are going to toss those anyway, and they will just give them to you on the hope you will come back and shop when you need something.

If you need them to shear it, then it gets complicated.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Isn't usenet great?