Need opinions on a diy ho

Hi Al!

AK> I would like to add a room onto my garage/home to use as a workshop. AK> I am recently retired and in great shape. I am also an inveterate AK> diy'er. I have done sheetrock, layed tile, fixed plumbing, and do all AK> of my own car work. Anyway, I have just toyed with the idea of doing AK> the addition myself. I would like to know the wisdom of even AK> considering such a project from someone who has done it. Am I biting AK> off more than I can chew??

Certainly it can be done: the "professionals" who do it for a living do it all the time!

Couple of 'concerns'. You're going to need permits (assuming you live in an incorporated area) so it might be easier overall to have a contractor do the framework and some of the wiring to comply with local codes. It may also be necessary to have a firewall -- not sure of the details here but when we put on the addition last year the inspector required sealing an opening between the new wall and the old storage area. Adding a 2x4 fixed that problem.

You may also need to tie into your existing roof with the roof for your playroom -- errr, workshop.

It's not a project that can't be done singlehandedly, just one that may be easier in the longterm with the assistance of a contractor. You can be the contractor and hire the contractor as a sub-contractor to give you more overall control. You can also rip off the drywall once the inspector(s) does (do) the final approval and have all kinds of fun!

  • EVICTOR HUGOÄFrench landlord & author, "Lease Miserables"
Reply to
barry martin

Is a diy ho the same as an amatuer ho?

-- Christopher a. (shut up & gimme 10%) Young Learn more about the Gay Missionary Position

Stormin Mormonn