Need Kenmore washer repair advice

I have a Kenmore washer that sort of works, but it makes a kind of a grinding noise during the spin cycle. I thought the noise was coming from the agitator but I completely removed the agitator and the noise continues. To me it looks like the washer is trying to agitate while it spins. The grinding noise isn't steady either. The grinding seems to be in sync with the attempted agitation. I think its likely the transmission and if it is I don't think it's worth fixing. But I thought I'd get a few other opinions before I give up on it completely.
The model # is 110.20942992 and it is a direct drive model. I'm not sure how old it is because it was given to me.
Thanks, Jay
--
The suespammers.org mail server is located in California; do not send
unsolicited bulk e-mail or unsolicited commercial e-mail to my
On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 22:21:57 -0600, Jay Smith wrote:

Just to follow up on this - I emailed the RepairGuru at RepairClinic.com and got the following response:
Guru > It sounds like the drive block is worn. Also you might want to check the clutch.
So this thing may not be headed to the landfill afterall. I guess I need to read up on the clutch too. I'm not sure what to check there...