Insulation Question

I currently have an above ground foundation wall (concrete block) that is covered with paneling attached to furring strips. The space between the paneling and concrete block wall is 1 inch. Is there any insulation I can add that does not need to be cover by Sheetrock? I cannot build the wall out to add additional space.

Reply to
noname87

Are you wanting to leave the paneling off ?

The first thing that comes to mind is foam board insulation. It can be cut on a tablesaw if you keep it moving, stalling will make a burnt or melted mess.

Tom in KY

Reply to
squarei4dtoolguy

the manufacturer just wants your zipcode to properly advise you at:

buffalobill

No. I plan on installing bead board or paneling over it. From what I read, most insulation made of foam requires fire barrier such as 1/2 sheetrock. Because of some heating pipes, I don['t have the 1/2 room needed to add the Sheetrock.

Reply to
noname87

Thanks. I look there before my initial post. Their products require covering it with a fire barrier such as 1/2" sheetrock.

Reply to
noname87

I'm not clear on what you're trying to do. Are you planning on removing the paneling and insulating between the furring strips? Or are you going to put the insulation on top of the existing paneling? I believe it's the first option, which makes me wonder why the space is so tight that you can't give up 3/8" to cover the foam with drywall. What gives?

RicodJour

I plan on removing the paneling, insulating and replacing the paneling.. I have hot water baseboard heating. The pipe feeding the radiator is embedded in the cement floor. Moving the wall out requires moving the radiator. I am trying to avoid this for two reasons. One, the previous owner banged the radiator, so the pipe is no longer round where the joints are. Might pose a problem when relocating the radiator. Two, if I build the wall out, the pipe feeding the radiator will be inside the wall depending on how far I build the wall out. Also, the wall is 4 feet high with a shelf. Building the wall out requires replacing the shelf with a larger shelf. I am trying to avoid the extra work.

Reply to
noname87