Need help with choosing right central air conditioning

Page 2 of 2

forgot what the cutoff number is. They can be installed but not made. Don't know how this will apply out of the US, but you are probably getting a leftover or out of date unit. While it will not really apply in your case, I just had a new heatpump installed to replace a 25 year old one. It had a SEER rating of 14 as this seemed to be the best installation cost vers the payback of a higher cost SEER rating for me. One thing about it , the cost of enegery will not come down, but only go up so you may need to think about what it may cost 5 or 10 years from now to operate the unit. You may save $ 5 now per month but 10 years from now it may be $ 20.

It's 13 in Arizona.
Al
To make the right choice strictly from a $$$ standpoint, you have to figure out how much you will be using the AC with your climate and lifestyle. What the Sears guy was referring to was that for that location, you won't be using it as much as someone in Miami, so it may not make economic sense to go to higher efficiency. You need to determine what the cost of electricity is in your area and how much AC units of diff efficiency will use. Factor in that over 15-20 years, electric rates are only going to go up. But, how long do you expect to live there? Also, many electric companies are now offering rebates if you buy a higher eff unit, so I would check that out too. Many of them have good sources of info on how much electric various home systems will use too.