Need Help Wiring A Switch/Reptacle - Connect The Dots

All:

I have a standard J-box Leviton device that has a switch at the top and a grounded receptacle at the bottom. I would like to control a light with the switch and keep the receptacle's power always on. I need help with how to wire this. Below I have laid out all of available wires and connection points. Please use the (letters) to identify which wires get connected to what. For example:

B-H (wire B gets connected to position H)

Thanks in advance for your help!

Steve

(A) ______(house, black)______ (B) ______(house, white)______ (C) ______(house, ground)_____

(D) ______(light, black)______ (E) ______(light, white)______ (F) ______(light, ground)_____

sw = switch rec = receptacle

_________________ | | | | (G) O| sw |O------| _________________ | | | | coupled (I) | rec |O------| (H) O| | _________________O ground screw (J)

Reply to
mooseshoes

see if these help

I'm not sure what those switches look like, the configuration. does the power some into the switch, and then go to the light, IOW is there white wires in the switch box wire nutted together? Or is this a totally new circuit. If there is just a switch(loop) in the current switch box, And no true Neutral, then it can not be done. (unless you pull more wire) I'm sure I,ve made my self clear(as Mud) Tony.

Reply to
Anthony Diodati

A to I (hot) supplies power to both rec and sw G to D supplies *switched* power to light

B to E to H *1 (neutrals) house connects to sw and light

C to F to J *2 (grounds) " " to sw/rec and light *1 cut a ~6" piece of white wire, strip both ends. One end goes to H, the other gets twisted with B and E and goes in a wire nut. (called "using a pigtail")

*2 cut a ~6" piece of copper wire. One end goes to J, the other gets twisted with C and F and goes in a wire nut.
Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

very helpful for my specific need

It is in an external GFCI box outside my home. I'm not there at the moment, and I can't recall if the white wires are nutted. There had been a standard 2 grounded receptacle device in there previously. I had it wired recently so that the switch control the light and the receptacle simultaneously, but I want the receptacle to now have power all the time.

Thanks,

Steve

Reply to
mooseshoes

Thank you!

Steve

Reply to
mooseshoes

OOPS...typo, brain cramp, whatever...

should be:

B to E to H *1 (neutrals) house connects to rec and light

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz