Need help repiring rust hole in Weber grill dome

Page 2 of 3

Ron wrote:

I'd still like to know what google groups does to their posts that prevents IE from quoteing properly. They are the only posts that cause the problem.

http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix /
Ron wrote:

I've been using it for awhile. Still no explanation of what google is doing.

Get your angle grinder out & grind off the rust- back to where the metal isn't rusted. At this point you'll likely have a large ring of clean steel. Throw it out-- along with the rest of your old grill & go buy a new one.
For about $100 you can get a Char-griller from Lowes. Mine is 6 years old & I just ordered a new warming rack and charcoal rack for mine. They were $60 with shipping- but my cast iron grates and the barrel are still like new- so it was worth it to me to keep the seasoned grates and cake of flavor that is on the inside of my barrel.
Jim

1.2 inch bolt and fender washers:)
have you EVER painted a grill before?
Grill paint for high temperatures in pricey and never lasts like the original factory finish:( Plus it STINKS the first few times you se grill:(
Bruce K. wrote:

Nobody else said it, so I will- how old is the grill? You said 'dome', so I am assuming this is the classic charcoal model. According to the website ( http://www.weber.com/help//warranties.aspx ), there is a 10 year warranty against rust/burn-through. Is there still a data plate on yours? Before you start sanding, it may be worth taking some digital pics of data plate and the hole, and asking them. Sometimes, manufacturers even go beyond the warranty period as a goodwill gesture, since so few people ever collect- they just chuck it and buy a new one.
--
aem sends...

With the heat of a cook kettle, most auto body type repairs won't stand the heat. I'm not sure what a propane torch has to do with the question.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I'm all for repairing things when feasible but one has to wonder it the lid is rusting out , just how solid is the rest of the grill ?? It would really suck to have burning charcoal falling onto the deck...Just say'in....

I rebuilt my now 30 year old gas grill a few years ago. Ground off the bolts holding it together, put the cast alunimum parts in my gas self cleaning oven, they came out looking brand new.
Replaced wood shelves with steel, repainted and reassembled. Had some rusty steel areas welded.
New burner, new regulator and hose. Finding a replacement burner required a stop at a speciality grill store.
It was a BIG job, but well worth it since it was my moms grill. We had lots of nice meals on that before she died.
It would of been far easier and cheaper to buy a new grill, but this project wet far beyond $$$
setiment has value too:)
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: (snip)

True that- Every time I visit my father, he gives me some more of his old tools, since he isn't up to doing much any more, at the age of 83. Some of them are the same tools he taught me with, 40+ years ago. They won't get loaned out, or live in a damp toolbox in the garage.
--
aem sends...

aemeijers wrote:

I ended up with a lot of my dads tools. It is special to be using them while thinking of Dad. Although Dad wasn't always the happiest guy, in fact when he was around most of us scrambled for safety! But when it came time for him to do repairs, I was always there right next to him. What ever he did I wanted to learn, I was just telling my mom a story about a day fixing some plumbing, the torch was starting the wood on fire so he told me to get a piece of metal to block the flame. I asked How about an old Lisence plate? Yes, hurry up!! Oh you should have heard him bitching when he discovered that back in the late 60's or early 70's the changed to aluminum plates and he melted a hole through it in no time! A little scary then, now I laugh about it. Hey, dad was dad.
Just a few days ago I found an old tape measure of his. Trying to remember the name, something like "Hankle and Mcoy" Like most of them it was small, all metal of course. "Add two inches", it was about 2 inches square and 5/8 wide. No hold/lock button. I also have his 50' also. Simple things like a carpenters square, with drips of paint, rust here and there. I scraped off the paint and put some muriatic acid on it and lightly brushed both side. Hosed it off and it looked almost new. Gave it 2 coats of car wax and hung it on the wall.

Not talking about you!
The OP hasn't given the age of the grill, so what makes you think he can "get maybe one more season" out of it? And as another poster suggested, it might be under warranty.
He has already been given a VERY easy solution to repairing the hole. A washer, bolt and nut. Quite frankly, I'm surprised that Weber would make a grill that would rust out. My grill that I bought from Sears is made from cast aluminum.

A Weber????

Then again I just saw your post recommending that the OP buy a new grill.
So at least 3 people are now recommending that the OP buy a new grill just because it has a small hole in the lid.
Again, can you buy a Weber at Lowes for under $100.00? It's always easy to tell someone else to spend money, eh?
On 5/16/2010 12:13 PM, Ron wrote:

Yes, I can get a brand new Weber charcoal kettle type grill from Lowes for under $100. Actually, I can get a new one from them for less than $90.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_27071-505-741001_7_?zipCode(445&state=R&firstReferURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lowes.com%2Fpd_27071-505-741001_7_%3FproductId%3D3055249%26Ntt%3Dweber%26Ntk%3Di_products%26Ns%3Dp_product_price%7C1%26pl%3D1%26currentURL%3D%2Fpl_%24100%252Bor%252Bless_7__s%3FNtk%3Di_products%24rpp%3D30%24No%3D60%24Ntt%3Dweber%24Ns%3Dp_product_price%7C1%26state%3DR&catalogId051&catalogId051&productId055249&pl=1&findStoreErrorURL=StoreLocatorDisplayView&selectedLocalStoreBeanArray=%5Bcom.lowes.commerce.storelocator.beans.LocatorStoreBean%40eb4f805%2C+com.lowes.commerce.storelocator.beans.LocatorStoreBean%407f72f805%2C+com.lowes.commerce.storelocator.beans.LocatorStoreBean%407f52f805%2C+com.lowes.commerce.storelocator.beans.LocatorStoreBean%40428f3805%2C+com.lowes.commerce.storelocator.beans.LocatorStoreBean%404c883805%5D&currentURL=%2Fpl_%24100%2Bor%2Bless_7__s%3FNtk%3Di_products%24rpp%3D30%24No%3D60%24Ntt%3Dweber%24Ns%3Dp_product_price%7C1&Ntt=weber&URL=TopCategoriesDis playView&langId=-1&langId=-1&Ns=p_product_price%7C1&storeId151&storeId151&Ntk=i_products
God only knows if that link will work but I went to Lowes.com and did a search for "Weber".
Jay

Try tinyurl.com.
I'm not talking about a overpriced regular charcoal grill. You can buy a off-brand for about 30 bucks. I'm talking about a "REAL" Weber gas grill. Entry level for those is probably around $400.
But since the OP didn't specify.............
-snip-

http://preview.tinyurl.com/23kt9ho
To me- a *real* grill uses charcoal, but different strokes, I guess.
The OP said a rust hole through the dome. The only ones I know of with domes are the charcoal grills. Once they start to rust- they are near the end of their lives.
Jim

I can't figure out how the Weber top "rusted out". I thought they were aluminum,and also,the top is domed so water runs off it. I can see the cooking or coal grids rusting out,but you can buy new replacements.
Plus,if it's aluminum,you could just pop-rivet a patch onto it. Aluminum doesn't braze or solder easily. Welding thin aluminum is not easy,either.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

Think about it. A container made of STAMPED aluminum holding a charcoal fire for several hours? Ever seen an aluminum-sided house after a fire?
Webers are made of enameled steel, much like an old speckled-blue coffee pot.
I'm no expert in aluminum alloys, but the only heat-contact aluminum parts I have ever seen were cast or spun, not stamped, and much thicker and harder than any sheet aluminum I have ever seen.
--
aem sends....

the DOME (the lid) doesn't hold the hot coals,nor does the bottom of a Weber;there's a steel grid to hold the coals,so air can circulate from the bottom and the ash drops off the coals(that's a major feature,BTW). I've got a similar domed grill with an aluminum domed lid and bottom and it stays out in the rain,no burnthru. I've had the coal grid rust out.
Heck,most people grill with the lid off anyways. Maybe he left it off and water puddled in it,on the inside. That would explain the rust,if it's a steel lid. Does Weber paint the inside of the lid??

except there's no "heat-contact" for a Weber's -lid-. It's far from the coals.
But,since it's steel,he could make a small patch,and braze it on with a Bernz-o-matic oxy-MAPP torch. HD sells a torch kit that includes enough brazing rod to do that small a job. then he could use hi-temp grill paint to finish it. they also sell sheet steel,although a bit pricy. Sure,it won't be the porcelainized enamel of the original,but good enough.
I checked,Weber doesn't sell the lid alone.
so,it's patch,live with the hole,or buy a new grill.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I thought they were aluminum,and also,the top is domed so water runs off it. I can see the cooking or coal grids rusting out,but you can buy new replacements.
Mine is a ceramic coated steel. If it was dented/chipped...it would rust.