Need help removing paint on Stainless Steel

Hi All,
I would like some help on removing paint from an old Whirlpool Hood Range. It's a stainless steel hood but has a black stripe that I would like to remove. What is the best way to get rid of the black paint? Should I use some kind of paint removal? or should I scrape out the paint? or should I sand out the paint with sand paper or some kind of tool like dremel tool that I have? Thanks in advance.
Use a strong paint remover , but if hood is old the color of the steel may be lighter at the stripped area from no oxidation, grease and dirt have darkened the rest of it. You may actualy have to refinish the stainless by sanding. It may not come out right and have a noticable strip. and look uneven from sanding. The factory process was done on automated machines. I dont know if I would do it, it depends on where the paint strip is . If it is on say the 3" front lip it may be that area could be blended to look equal. Unfortunatly you wont know till you remove the paint and see

Paint remover may work.
I can say for sure that any scraping, sanding, grinding will leave blemishes.

Range.
best
paint?
in
Putting a rag soaked in rubbing alcohol will usually soften paint. I'd try that before I used paint remover with methylene chloride in a kitchen.
XYLINOL... I don't know how to spell it but it works good on metals

I have removed the black paint used on Satinless steel car trim (rocker panels etc) without any problems....not real effortlessly however...
Bob Griffiths
Thanks for all the reaponse.