Need freezer Recharge Education

I have 13 chest type freezers, a couple of upright freezers and a two Ice Machines having to do with my business. The freezers are not always in use, so are shut off until needed. I have one or two that will leak out if the are shutoff, so we no long shut them off, we either leave them on when empty or move items in from another freezer that we can shut off.
Question one)
Explain to my why the freezer will leak refrigerant when it is off but not on.
Question two)
Sometimes when I go to restart a freezer after it is off for a few weeks or month, it does not want to start. The breaker in the compressor just keeps cycling. Usually after enough time passes It finally starts and will run fine from then on. Why?
Question three)
I would like to get enough education to be able to add refrigerant when a freezer needs it. The electrical part I have a good handle on, I have gauges and have no problem installing a Piercing type Shrader Valve. I need to know how to decide if a problem is caused by low refrigerant, I'm not one to just do something because that's what I know, I want to troubleshoot and come to a logical conclusion.
Has anyone seen a good video that helped or a book that is focused on home freezer?
Help is appreciated.
I have a brother in law that does refrigeration and he usually fixes things when needed. He never charges me enough and I don't like to have him do it because of that.
Mikek

Sorry, I can't give you answers. If you feel so guilty about his low cost; slip your sister a Benjamin.
On 7/20/2016 8:04 AM, Oren wrote:

or some free meals, or whatever.
On Wed, 20 Jul 2016 08:11:39 -0700, Taxed and Spent

Fixing 17 units takes a bunch of pot roasts and tatters with carrots.
On 7/20/2016 12:36 PM, Oren wrote:

Well nothing is broken at the moment, but everything is getting older, even me, dammit!
Mikek

If there is a comunity college near you you may check to see if they have any night classes you can audit. You do not get credit or anything for them, but you only go to the ones you want. No need for a lot of the other classes , say the electrical part, if all you want to do is learn something specific.
There are lots of videos on You tube that tell alot about refrigeration and aircondition.
One thing to learn is the law about how to reclaim the gas. YOu can not simply dump it to the atmosphere like was done many years ago. Big fine if you get caught.
Look for the Montreal Protocol. I guess that your BIL could get the refregerant for you, but you really need to take the test and get certified to buy it. They don't care if you know anything much about the equipment, but need to know the law.
"amdx" wrote in message wrote:

Well nothing is broken at the moment, but everything is getting older, even me, dammit!
Mikek
Well Mr. Mikek find bloody pill for it I will pay you good money for it!!!

does the system have a "service port"?
https://www.google.com/search?q=schrader+valve+refrigeration&biw 44&bih0&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved hUKEwjV6-XprYLOAhWKaT4KHdKKB28Q_AUIBygC&dpr=0.9
ie a Shrader valve like a tire air valve.
If not, it will be very difficult to refill yourself.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

https://www.google.com/search?q=schrader+valve+refrigeration&biw 44&bih0&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved hUKEwjV6-XprYLOAhWKaT4KHdKKB28Q_AUIBygC&dpr=0.9
A quote from his original post :
"I would like to get enough education to be able to add refrigerant when a freezer needs it. The electrical part I have a good handle on, I have gauges and have no problem installing a Piercing type Shrader Valve."
Apparently you need to read more carefully .
--
Snag

On Wednesday, July 20, 2016 at 12:23:46 PM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:

https://www.google.com/search?q=schrader+valve+refrigeration&biw 44&bih0&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved hUKEwjV6-XprYLOAhWKaT4KHdKKB28Q_AUIBygC&dpr=0.9
hmmm, yes you are correct
On Wednesday, July 20, 2016 at 10:31:16 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Some of them have a special proprietary fitting and I've had to buy an adapter from the refrigeration supply house in order to service them. Schrader valves can deteriorate and leak. If a unit doesn't leak down when running it could be that the Schrader valve on the liquid line is being kept warm and oiled which can keep it from leaking. Shut the unit down and the change in temperature can cause the valve parts to contract thus causing a leak. The O.P. really needs a leak detector to check all the service ports on his refrigeration equipment.o_O
[8~{} Uncle Leaky Monster

Why not ask those questions of the BiL?