Need advice on ice maker valve replacement

Page 2 of 2
On Tue, 26 Jan 2016 16:34:53 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

I also taught officially for several years, and now teach unofficially in many ways.
And I can do what I teach - or in some cases I used to be able.
<stuff snipped>

There's the rub. Age changes the equation, but come on guys, it's a platitude or a homily or something like that. I've forgotten! (-: Anyway it's not meant to be literally true and it's more a dig against critics than teachers.
--
Bobby G.

On 1/26/2016 7:34 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I've found there are several types of people. Some noble folks (such as myself) enjoy sharing wisdom, and seeing others succeed.
Less noble people might be in competition all the time, trying to get ahead.
Minimally noble people try to tear others down.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Monday, January 25, 2016 at 5:23:48 PM UTC-5, Peabody wrote:

What do the instructions say? I see both a copper compression type fitting nut and a plastic nut in the bag. Plus the valve has two ends. I would think the valve would accommodate both copper and plastic supply lines.
Thanks for everyone's comments.
trader_4 says...
>> Anyway, I ordered what's supposed to be the correct >> replacement valve, which is this one:
>> http://www.ebay.com/itm/381506821667
> What do the instructions say? I see both a copper > compression type fitting nut and a plastic nut in the > bag. Plus the valve has two ends. I would think the > valve would accommodate both copper and plastic supply > lines.
The plastic nut in the bag is part of the extension needed for the line to the ice maker. This is needed for some older boxes like mine. With this new "universal" replacment, the old line is no longer long enough.
I managed to get this done in only about three hours. Now you're gonna ask why it took that long, but if you ever saw me trying to do plumbing, you would understand.
First, I had everything backward. From the instructions, which weren't for this valve anyway, it looked like the standard compression fitting was for the line to the ice maker, and the quick connect was for the supply line.
But after trying lots of different positions, and trying to see how this would actually work, it became apparent that I was wrong. Then, just glancing at the valve in the right light, I saw a barely visible direction-of-flow arrow. So, the compression fitting is actually at the supply line, which is where I think it should be, and the quick connect is for the line to the ice maker, where even if it leaks it won't leak much.
Then all I had to do was figure out exactly where the valve would be mounted, add the extension to the ice maker line, connect everything, and hope it wouldn't leak. And of course hope it would work.
Anyway, it did the first fill cycle successfully, and so far nothing leaks. That's a good sign. But I'll leave the fridge pulled out for a couple days so I can make sure it isn't leaking. Then I may have to adjust the ON time for the correct fill level.