Need Advice...Craftsman 6.75HP Push Mower

Hello-
I have a Craftsman push mower that is about 5 years old. The governor speed control does not stay steady anymore. I start the mower up and the governor pulses for a few seconds and then the mower stalls. What seems to be the problem here and what can I do w/o having to bring this in for service? Dirty carburator? Bad governor spring?
Thanks for the advice!!
dirty carb.pay particular attention to the hole in the fuel bowl nut.nut