Need a quick third opinion on crown moulding

We want to install crown moulding in our powder room. It's a longish, narrow full bathroom, actually. My wife says that we should install the same moulding that's in the hall outside the bathroom (3" wide). I say that we should install something narrower because the the wider moulding is too big for the room.
So, which is the more important factor, matching the rest of the downstairs or scaling it to the room?
Thanks for any opinions.
We want to install crown moulding in our powder room. It's a longish, narrow full bathroom, actually. My wife says that we should install the same moulding that's in the hall outside the bathroom (3" wide). I say that we should install something narrower because the the wider moulding is too big for the room.
So, which is the more important factor, matching the rest of the downstairs or scaling it to the room?
Thanks for any opinions.
On 10/9/2005 12:24 PM or thereabouts, dave appears, somewhat unbelievably, to have opined:

Your wife is right . . . Otherwise you will never hear the end of it. The woman always wins in the end anyway.
--
As a child, my parents thought I was an idiot-savant.
Now, however, it is rather clear that I\'m simply an idiot.

Yep! "Honey after thinking about it I decided you are correct!" Letting her be right will get you a back rub, (and maybe more!), after the work is done! Greg
One might use the hall moulding with the idea that they are both public spaces. TB

Do you think they followed that logic with the flooring and wall treatments? How about the porcelain fixtures?
Either the same or different moldings would be okay if done correctly. If not done correctly both of them would suck.
Geez do you people have good marriages, or are you always ducking from your wife? Amazing.
My own opinion is that the hallway and bathroom are separate spaces, and nothing "needs" to match. You should use something that looks good in there.
As with any difference of opinion between married people, you have to a) decide how much of a battle it's worth, b) talk together about your individual feelings, and c) come to a consensus on what to do.
Simply saying "the wife is always right" is ridiculous, and not a sign of a healthy marriage. Similarly, to say "come on you wuss, show her who's boss of the house" would be equally unproductive.
Presumably you love this person and vice versa? Have you lost the ability to communicate? If you can't discuss feelings about a friggin' bathroom molding, how can you possibly discuss such imporant things as raising children, family finances, and staying faithful to each other?
If someone says "well I'd prefer it one way but I'll do what my wife wants because I love her and want to make her happy" that's one thing. But comments such as "Your wife is right . . . Otherwise you will never hear the end of it. The woman always wins in the end anyway." are just plain ridiculous. Why not just get a divorce if you hate your wife that much?
-Tim

Great marriage, it is just some things are not worth fighting over! I never said the wife is ALWAYS right, but on something as trivial as crown molding I would not be going to battle over it! How is the OP's marriage? He posted a dilemma to a group of totally unknown people to settle a disagreement he and his wife are having. Typically this is one of those discussions were the OP wants us to side with him to settle the disagreement. My wife and I we would have discussed it, and settled on our own. We would not need outside intervention from a bunch of strangers! It is allot in the delivery. If the OP had said, "My wife and I can not decide which would be better?", instead of, "my wife wants this, and I want that, who is right?" my reaction would be different! Greg
clipped

Holy marriage counselling! Are you for real? The OP posted a simple question and asked for opinions......he wants the project to looke good.

Lighten up or you will have a stroke :o) It's like when I try on a new dress and ask what hubby thinks...it might not look as good as I think it looks. We have made wrong choices, even when we both liked the idea initially, so..........
I'm sure your dress looked good. A bit like my wife who just bought a new pair of blue jeans. She tried them on and modeled them for me, but finally asked, "do this make me look the side of a barn?"
I am not stupid. This is one of those female/male no win questions. I answered quickly and honestly, "of course not, don't be silly, there is no way you could look like the side of a barn in those >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Barn's are red!!!

PoorUB
\'05 Ultra Classic
dave wrote:

My opinion is the same as in the hallway. That will result in a more unified look.
My second opinion is that when it comes to the way the home looks it is the wife that should have the final say. The man of the house is likely to have a much more pleasant life if he follows that rule. You get to make decisions in the garage and yard.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Isn't the hall long and arrow also? While I think it should be scaled to the room, and have the appropriate style to the room, the same may work. Tack a couple of pieces in place and take a look. It may be worth investing in a couple feet of a narrower style to make a comparison too.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Your idea gets my vote :o) If both can be seen at the same time, I would lean harder toward same width. Depends a little on the amount and scale of "stuff" in the bath, but it is a matter of taste and not that hard to rip out if the boss changes decor :o) The decorative stuff - trim, wall decoration, pretty mirror, should be the focus and in scale with each other.
"dave" wrote in message

Crown molding, which is 3", is a smaller crown to start with. Anything less than 3", would look rather silly.

Following the tenets of Family Rule, your Wife wins this case. To settle this argument ethically you should enlist the services of an Architect.
Bill
Is a "blow job" involved in this decision?

I have found that, in the house, what is best is what the wife wants.