Name this fence?

I'm wondering if there's a specific name for a type of wooden fence design I noticed (for what I think might be my first time) over the weekend.
While driving on a highway in western Massachusetts I saw a wooden "sound barrier" fence running alongside the road for about a mile. I cought glimpses of the peaks of house roofs a short distance behind it.
The fence was built onto round wooden posts about nine feet high set in the ground spaced at about 15 feet spacing.
The ends of horizontal boards were attached to the posts, close spaced so they formed solid panels. At a glance they looked like they might be 16 feet long 2x8s.
What struck me as unusual was that one end of each board was attached to the nearside of a post and the other end of that board was attached to the far side of the adjacent post. This placement was repeated along the entire length of the fence. So, each "panel" was slightly skewed with respect to the fence line, by the thickness of one post.
It struck me as an eminently practical way to secure the ends of the fence boards, even though it looked a little "different".
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

Search for "basket weave" fences. They can be vinyl material that resembles wood.
HTH.

It would look like this GIF.
http://www.superiorqualityfence.com/_9Basketweave_Big.gif
Oren wrote:

That's not it. The fence the OP is referring to is solid panels, not a weave.
Sort of like: /o/o/o/o/o if you stretch those slashes a bit.

I now see the pattern. Thanks.
I suggest the OP enter Fence in Google Image search. Sounds like it is just one of dozens of unnamed fence designs. 15 feet between poles does seem a bit long though. 8' or 10' is easier due to the fact someone has to haul all that wood to the site and without a truck 10', 12' is the largest you can fit in most SUV without being unsafe.
A 9 foot fence may also violate code depending on your city, the setback from the property line and which sides of the house it shields. Cities are often particular about appearance standards, they may not want any stockade fenced homes. Find out the rules before you allow yourself to dream or you may be disappointed later. 9 foot pole above ground means 12' total pole. That fence you saw cost a fortune.
Soundwall fences are more effective if they have an irregular face. A perfectly flat fence will reflect sound. Irregular height has also shown to scatter sound effectively.

Pipedown wrote:

Sounds like a typical soundwall fence to me. They often use wood in areas where putting footers for a concrete fence would be a major PITA, or neighbors freak at the thought of Berlin Wall in their back yard. The sawtooth shape does help break up the sound, not to mention reducing flapping in the breeze.
-- aem sends...
It's much less scarry if you name it. I'll call it Steve.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Just stir the kettle won't you?!
The OP said it was ...

I doubt that it has a specific name other than in the engineering specs that reside somewhere in the DOT offices. Just a design feature to add a bit of interest to what would otherwise be a very blank appearance.
Harry K