My Queen Needs a New Throne

Page 1 of 2
We have had it with the toilets in this house that have a hard time flushing water let alone anything firmer. Any one care to recommend a toilet that really does what it should do only using one flush rather that three. Never understood how the fools in Washington came up with the water saver toilet.
Of course might as well redo the floors and what ever else SWMBO comes up with.
Thanks Bob S

Assuming you do not have an underlying clog in the drain pipes or hard water build up in your toilet jets, you may want to look into a pressure assisted toilet or the Americal Standard "Champion" model as it has a large diameter trap (this is the one that swallows a box of golf balls with one flush)
I don't think his wife is passing golf balls

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 21:05:39 +0000, RWS wrote:

American Standard "Champion" model. I own one, and this is the best flushing toilet I've seen yet. Never tried the golf balls, but I've never had a problem with anything going down in one flush.

Canada sells three-gallon toilets.

Some are still available, but the law has changed here to 6 litre toilets too.

Geez, I waited too long. It's back to hand-made toilets to get a decent 3- gallon flush, it appears.
RWS wrote:

I'll solve your problem with one word: Toto!
Regards,
Phil
Toto has 60 toilets on their USA web page. Which one?
Pat wrote:

The Ultra Max is a good one. Check prices on eBay, too. I found a seller on eBay, contacted them by phone and they gave me a much better deal.
The soft-close seats are great. Impossible for them to slam.
RWS wrote:

Toto is highly rated. http://www.ci.mesa.az.us/utilities/conservation/pdf/toilet_ratings.pdf
RWS wrote:

I'd recommend a Toto Drake. It has an oversized flapper and a powerful, quick flush.
http://www.gov.mb.ca/conservation/pollutionprevention/pdf/map_update_june1_2004.pdf
I also tried the cheaper Glacier Bay Westminster but was disappointed in its performace and will probably either get rid of it or relocate it. Since the toilet will be there for a while, don't skimp.
I did notice a high incidence of toilets with sealing problems around the plastic flush valve (below the flapper in the tank). One burr in the mating porcelain, and you get dripping. I'd recommend taking silicone sealant to that seam before you fill the tank with water, just to save you troubles. Just be sure not to get any on the flapper seating surface or the flapper.
Yes, Toto is the brand, Drake is the model. Work exceptionally well and have passed many tests. A little noisier than most but the sound is short and quick not lingering.

My sister recently built a new house and has 4 bathrooms. 3 in the main house and 1 in a guest "apartment". The 3 in the house are American Standard and the guest one is a Toto to save money. She wishes she had put the Toto in all of them. I stayed in the guest space and was very impressed with that Toto plus it has that soft drop seat. After we came home the kids were always banging our seat. Richard
Look for one with a pressure valve by Sloan. They are made by Gerber and Kohler and others. Also consider the taller toilers oval shaped instead of round short ones.

I work for Sloan, and you're right about the higher toilets - a lot of people find them more comfortable. We call them ADA height toilets. I know nobody asked me, I get alerts when our company name is used in cyber space, but I thought I'd give you a little insight. To find a distributor for Kohler or Gerber bowls that use the Sloan Flushmate, you can go to www.flushmate.com and click on the button which says, "Find Distributor". Sorry for butting in! If you'd like more info you can email me at snipped-for-privacy@sloanvalve.com Thanks, Jim
I enjoyed your post and thought I would add a few things.
I have 4 Kohler toilets with Sloan valves in my house. In 8 years only one has need any part and Sloan sent it to me for free. The only disadvantage to the toilets with Sloan valves is noise but the latest Gerbers installed in my parent's house are much quieter than my Kohlers and would not bother anyone. I don't know if newer Kohlers are quieter.
A great unspoken advantage to these valves is that they detect back pressure and overflows are just about impossible. Plug the toilet and they stop flushing instantly. Let the water do a little dissolving and flush as many times as you want until it goes down with zero risk of overflow.
Finally, when we first moved into the house one of the 4 toilets worked erratically. Sloan sent us every replacement part imaginable and Kohler finally decided to replace the bowl. When we went to the distributor to pick up the new bowl I noticed that the washer between the tank and bowl were different than the one I had. Apparently the plumber has lost the original washer and replaced it with another which wasted several days of my life and many parts from Sloan and Kohler.

american standard champion model little pricey but its outlet is larger!!

Here is a site with the complete testing of just about every model of toilet available:
http://www.cwwa.ca/pdf_files/MaP%205th%20Edition%20Sept%2015,%2005.pdf
Be sure to check out Terry Love's plumbing site:
http://terrylove.com/crtoilet.htm
It has reviews, customer comments, and a forum. There appear to be a lot of horror stories regarding the American Standard Champion.