My last pipe soldering question for a while

Page 3 of 3
toller wrote:

If you are referring to very thin teflon tape (which has no adhesive), then it's for sealing threaded joints. Unscrew, apply to the thread then screw up the connection. In the old days, plumbers used sisal for the same purpose.

It is black, slightly adhesive, tape called SealWrap Repair tape. It feels similar to electrical tape, except that you stretch it out as you apply it. I have had it sitting in my basement for 2 years without using it, so yesterday I decided to see what it would do. I taped up a 1.5" PVC pipe joint. After 15 minutes, with one end clamped in a vice, it was very difficult to pull apart. Not as strong as gluing it, but it would certainly hold a drain together. I don't know what it would do on a supply line leak. Maybe I will try that next.