My house tipped over

Page 2 of 2
On 8/13/2015 4:05 AM, J Burns wrote:

I was thinking that you tell a good story like he could tell a good story.
--
Maggie

On 8/13/15 12:57 PM, Muggles wrote:

National Laboratory. He'd gotten in by throwing his overcoat over the barbed wire at the top of the fence. He ran when he saw jeep headlights, but he fell and was caught. He was carrying an automatic pistol.
He claimed he'd climbed the fence because he thought it was the airport. In his Cadillac, they found a four-page manuscript that started, "I hereby affirm the following is a true and accurate account." It claimed his car had stalled, and he'd walked through the open gate of the laboratory by accident because there were no guards.
So his stories were not to be believed. Before committing espionage, he'd written an alibi to fool his audience. On the radio, he claimed he'd been set up.
In September, Russia exploded a 38 kiloton atom bomb. In October, they exploded a 41 kiloton bomb. Harvey faced indictment for espionage. J. Edgar Hoover contacted him to ask, "Will you be my friend."
Harvey said, "Yes!" He was a friend indeed, frequently making up and airing tales of Hoover's heroism. Like any close friend, Hoover had the espionage charges dropped. And there you have the rest of the story.
On 8/12/2015 10:17 PM, J Burns wrote:

There seems to be a rash of medical reversals lately, concerning things like milk, sugar, salt, etc. I think that a lot of what we hear and read is nothing more than fear mongering, based on little real world facts. That being said, I simply don't think the government should be telling people what to eat and drink. It's not their business and when it comes to facts, they aren't exactly on the top of the believable list, imo.
On 8/13/15 8:31 AM, SeaNymph wrote:

The problem is the research industry. A scientist has to publish or perish, or, one like Albert Schweitzer may want to publish so the public will know what he has learned. He has to publish in certain periodicals. Many times, they won't publish unless they get the copyright.
For practical purposes, that can mean the research is unavailable to the public. Subscriptions are expensive. If you aren't part of an organization that can afford subscriptions, and you don't have access to certain libraries, you may be out of luck. Besides, a corporation or government who found certain information threatening, could probably bury the research by buying the copyright. At one time, I think copyrights expired in 17 years, but now they can be extended for generations.
Schweitzer published a paper saying he'd treated hundreds of thousands of Gabonese. Their primitive diet looked unhealthful to civilized people. Besides, it was a tobacco-growing region, and they smoked so much that he often treated them for nicotine poisoning. Cancer was endemic in industrial nations; I think colon cancer was the biggest; yet Schweitzer reported that he didn't see a single case of cancer for many years, until they began eating a western diet.
It has been about a century since he published it, but I think it's still unavailable to the public.
A British doctor began treating Inuits about 1880. They traded for firearms, ammunition, tobacco, and other items, but stubbornly refused to buy western food. Their diet included lots of blubber. For fifty years, he found no cancer and very little heart disease. IIRC, his first cancer case was in 1930, after they'd finally begun eating food from industrialized nations.
As of the 1890s, pathologists had been advancing medical science for a couple of centuries. They'd found infarctions in various organs, but never a heart. The foremost pathologist in North America published a paper on the first known heart infarction, in the 1890s, four years after corn oil came on the market.
I think cottonseed oil came on the market in 1898. The motive was profit: cottonseed was a byproduct, available for almost nothing. Hydrogenated cottonseed oil, Crisco, came on the market in 1912, IIRC. Suddenly there was an epidemic of the strange new disease, the heart attack. One contemporary writer noted that it happened to people who ate a lot of pastry.
Cancers increased, especially lung cancer, which had been rare. It happened to women, too, and they didn't smoke. About 1937, when the prices of butter and lard jumped, so did sales of vegetable oil and hydrogenated shortening.
In WWII, Japan cut us off from a traditional saturated cooking oil, coconut oil. Soy oil took its place. By the end of the war, vegetable oil was a major, profitable industry. The rates of heart attacks, cancer, and obesity became alarming and continued to grow.
Now that butter, lard, and coconut oil were again abundant, the vegetable oil industry set out to discredit them through propaganda from research not available to the public. They had a scientist try a diet of fish filets and blubber. I don't think he did it many days. He announced that his blood analysis showed it was unhealthful.
That was the start of the propaganda that everybody should eat vegetable oil because saturated fat caused heart attacks. The problem was malnutrition, like using a diet of bread and water to prove bread was harmful. Such propaganda worked in a culture where the public accepted knowing only half truths because of copyrights.
IIRC, it was about 1970 that Harvard Medical School determined that partially hydrogenated vegetable oil was deadly to the heart. I'm sure they weren't the first, but when Harvard spoke, people listened. Not in this case. The vegetable oil industry had lots of money for junk science and propaganda.
The Center for Science in the Public Interest, founded by a food-industry lobbyist, kept spreading propaganda that the delicious traditional fats used by restaurants caused disease, while hydrogenated soy oil was good for you. Eventually, McDonalds caved in and switched from tallow to hydrogenated soy oil. When governments outlawed it, CSPI representatives said they were ignorant slobs who didn't know any better. The Wall Street Journal disagreed.
Obesity? According to the USDA, per capita consumption of all kinds of food except vegetable oil has remained pretty constant since 1940.
Men began smoking less about 1955. Statistics said an individual's chance of getting lung cancer declined fairly quickly after quitting, but the rate among men rose for nearly 40 years as cigarette consumption declined. It began declining about 1992. Now it's a lot lower, but I think women's rates have continued to climb. If people who had never smoked often got lung cancer, that was supposed to be because somebody else smoked.
The Adkins Diet, advocating more meat and animal fat, became popular in the early 1990s. Probably more men than women were swayed. Research has shown that saturated fat protects the lungs. As long as the public were kept ignorant, the vegetable oil industry could blame cigarettes.
On 8/13/2015 11:02 AM, J Burns wrote:

Frankly, I find it tiresome that politicians seems to believe they know what's best for people concerning everything from soda to light bulbs. I think there is so much nonsense out there, that I've pretty much stopped paying attention to it.
On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 13:15:49 -0500

What ever the government says is bad for you, immediately go stock up. If it is food in a few years new studies will show they were wrong. If it is a light bulb in a few years studies will show the new ones are poison.
The government has never been correct on any of its doom, death and destruction predictions.
On 8/13/15 2:15 PM, SeaNymph wrote:

I'm talking about cynically using invalid research for propaganda.
I think the only place I mentioned politicians was in taking a stand against trans fatty acids. I'm glad they did.
On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 18:08:17 -0400

Why ? You needed someone to tell you not to eat it? You could not do it on your own? Because you don't want it, why can't others have it?
On 08/13/2015 03:13 PM, burfordtjustice wrote:

Because I'm a taxpayer. I'm the guy funding ObamaCare,
Why should I have to pay for some fat-assed tub-of-guts medical bills?
On 8/13/2015 7:39 PM, nobody wrote:

Because, comrade, that's what Dear Leader wants. And you and I have no say in the matter.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 8/13/15 6:13 PM, burfordtjustice wrote:

fries. The CSPI had deprived us of choice. It was bad enough to use junk science and propaganda to deprive us of our choice, but it was well established that the junk their propaganda forced McDonalds and other restaurants to serve unsuspecting diners was toxic. By outlawing it, New York trumped the "liberal" propaganda and restored to restaurants and customers the right to use the traditional fats they preferred.
AFAIK, the federal government didn't outlaw trans fatty acids. They required labeling so a cost-cutting food manufacturer couldn't use that stuff without letting customers know what they'd be eating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3dq9dxEf2c

On Sunday, August 9, 2015 at 9:48:56 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@untested.com wrote:

There are all kinds of reality shows about flipping houses...check into it! ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮
On Sun, 09 Aug 2015 21:45:52 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@untested.com wrote:

Better call Burland.
<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/art/architecture/7907298/Solving-the-800-year-mystery-of-Pisas-Leaning-Tower.html
On 08/09/2015 09:45 PM, snipped-for-privacy@untested.com wrote:

Happens to me from time to time
I wrote this poem concerning the subject (a few years ago)
It was rejected by the New Yorker but in the issue I expected to see it, they had a cartoon about people eating on the ceiling
I am still pissed off
· Wednesdays
Wednesdays were always my favorite. Pabst allowed us to dine on the ceiling.
The table: A hardware store extravaganza of brackets and gears, Pulleys and screws and levers and mirrors. We’d climb the ladder and fasten ourselves in.
Drinking was a bit messy… Soup required special bowls.
Marmz never much saw the point… But those days were the best days, I’ve ever remembered… Until the tornado.
Sissy-ister was tossed, Upside down. The soup bowl on her head, A Mulligan crown.
Pabst set out to hire pachyderm, To de-topsy our turvey home. The elephant boss Mahout, In the bottle his snoot, Was (alas) of no use.
Our house remained on its side.
We no longer dine Wednesdays… On the ceiling.
Now ‘tis Thursday… The day we eat upside down. Our normal day… As I recall, The day we ate upon the wall.
On 8/10/15 4:29 PM, philo wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR32Ths4WX0

On 08/10/2015 09:02 PM, J Burns wrote:

Great movie!!!
On 8/9/2015 10:45 PM, snipped-for-privacy@untested.com wrote:

Pay off your student loans.
snipped-for-privacy@untested.com wrote:

Have a few beers. You won't notice it anymore.