My breakerbox/fusebox sings

Its been doing it off and on for a while, I just noticed it because the sound was so hard to localize. Anyway it makes this singing noise off and on - mostly when I have a load on the system - my computer, the dryer stuff like that. I describe it as a singing noise because its the sound that metal makes when it vibrates rapidly - it doesn't do it for long - maybe 1 to 2 seconds at a time.

What the heck is going on? It's a 100A non-grounded GE circuit breaker box - no main breaker, installed in 1959.

Reply to
Eigenvector

buffalobill

Sounds like a loose connection, or if you have a GFI breaker it might make some noise.

Reply to
Mikepier

Please record this sound and upload to a website. This is just too weird.....

Reply to
souperman

Originally that's what I assumed, a loose connection. After talking to a friend he indicated that it could also possibly be a breaker going/gone bad. Anyway I'm searching for an electrician as I write this.

Reply to
Eigenvector

Take a piece of garden hose or automotive vacuum hose. Hold it to each breaker with the other end to your ear. Listen carefully. Then shut off the suspected breaker. If sound stops, you found the bad breaker. Replace it.

Reply to
maradcliff