My belt sander thinks it's a Van de Graaff generator

I've had one inch sparks from the belt to my hands while using it. Any suggestions? It's chassis is connected to the power plug ground.
"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
>I've had one inch sparks from the belt >to my hands while using it. Any suggestions? >It's chassis is connected to the power >plug ground.
Either the belt's not at ground or your hands not at ground. Try connecting a wire from your hand to the frame (might want to use a resistor to limit current) and see if the sparks are stopped. If you are grounded and the machine is grounded it is the electrical equivalent of a wire connecting you to ground, the same potential (should be) as power plug ground.
RogerN
> "Jim Stewart"  wrote in message > >I've had one inch sparks from the belt > >to my hands while using it.  Any suggestions? > >It's chassis is connected to the power > >plug ground. > > Either the belt's not at ground or your hands not at ground.  Try conne cting > a wire from your hand to the frame (might want to use a resistor to limit > current) and see if the sparks are stopped.
I remember hearing something about set the power tool down on the ground, then let go, then pick it back up and begin using it. This will result in the tool being grounded right along with your, and the plug's ground potential.