Murray lawnmowers

I needed a lawnmower. I was at a yard sale, and they had a new Murray 21 inch self propelled for twenty bucks. It wouldn't start. Everything looked new, so I bought it.
The float bowl was dirty, and the jet was clogged.
Since then, I googled the model number, and lots of people said they didn't like theirs because they failed, either the frame or the propulsion system. I live in a dry climate, so think that the frame should hold up okay.
Anyone have an opinion on Murray mowers? It has a five horse motor.
Steve
Visit my site at http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

If thats all that was wrong you got a good deal, I think they are the cheapest in price so quality probably follows but for 20$ does it matter, just lube the drive system and keep engine oil clean.

Murray's are Ok...I've had used ones for years. With a drive unit you will need to check for spark becuz the safety switches may be out of adjustment.
bob

There are people that will buy Murray/Craftsman and toss them when they go bad. A DIY'er might be happy in constantly fixing one. Personally, at my age, I'm done buying low end stuff that I want to work when I need it.

Constantly fixing one? I have a Craftsman that is 12 yrs old and I haven't had to fix anything. Plus I live in FL so it gets used almost yr round.
SteveB wrote:

Junk
--
LSMFT

For twenty bucks you sure can't go wrong - even if it rots away in 2 years. Being a Murray it will be a Briggs engine - the engine alone is worth a lot more than you paid for the mower.

For 20 bucks, you got a good deal. They are a mediocre mass market mower that will last a few years. I'd not buy one for $200, but certainly would for $20 and an hour of tinkering to make it run.
My present mower is a John Deere with a Kawasaki engine. After 10+ years it still starts on the first pull even after sitting for the winter. It was much more than $20 though.

I think it would be worth putting in a huge yard just to get one of those Husqvarna ZTR riding mowers that look like an orange Ferarri. Zoom, zoom.
Steve
Visit my site at http://cabgbypasssurgery.com
All errors, brain farts, misspelled words intentional because this computer is set to Spelchek French, and I can't get it to do any different.

"Murray" is just a name. It the engine is a B&S, for $20.00 -- you done good.

Murtray is owned by B&S now.