Murray lawnmowers

I needed a lawnmower. I was at a yard sale, and they had a new Murray 21 inch self propelled for twenty bucks. It wouldn't start. Everything looked new, so I bought it.

The float bowl was dirty, and the jet was clogged.

Since then, I googled the model number, and lots of people said they didn't like theirs because they failed, either the frame or the propulsion system. I live in a dry climate, so think that the frame should hold up okay.

Anyone have an opinion on Murray mowers? It has a five horse motor.

Steve

Visit my site at

SteveB

If thats all that was wrong you got a good deal, I think they are the cheapest in price so quality probably follows but for 20$ does it matter, just lube the drive system and keep engine oil clean.

Reply to
ransley

Murray's are Ok...I've had used ones for years. With a drive unit you will need to check for spark becuz the safety switches may be out of adjustment.

bob

Reply to
Bob Villa

There are people that will buy Murray/Craftsman and toss them when they go bad. A DIY'er might be happy in constantly fixing one. Personally, at my age, I'm done buying low end stuff that I want to work when I need it.

Reply to
Frank

Junk

Reply to
LSMFT

For twenty bucks you sure can't go wrong - even if it rots away in 2 years. Being a Murray it will be a Briggs engine - the engine alone is worth a lot more than you paid for the mower.

Reply to
clare

I think it would be worth putting in a huge yard just to get one of those Husqvarna ZTR riding mowers that look like an orange Ferarri. Zoom, zoom.

Steve

Visit my site at

All errors, brain farts, misspelled words intentional because this computer is set to Spelchek French, and I can't get it to do any different.

Reply to
SteveB

For 20 bucks, you got a good deal. They are a mediocre mass market mower that will last a few years. I'd not buy one for $200, but certainly would for $20 and an hour of tinkering to make it run.

My present mower is a John Deere with a Kawasaki engine. After 10+ years it still starts on the first pull even after sitting for the winter. It was much more than $20 though.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Constantly fixing one? I have a Craftsman that is 12 yrs old and I haven't had to fix anything. Plus I live in FL so it gets used almost yr round.

Reply to
Ron

"Murray" is just a name. It the engine is a B&S, for $20.00 -- you done good.

Reply to
Oren

Murtray is owned by B&S now.

Reply to