MultiMaster Clone in Harbor Freight, Any Good?

I have found a MultiMaster clone in Harbor Freight catalog. It is also shown in this URL:

I am looking for something like this to work in my boat and around my house. But I am not sure if this model is any good. Does any one try it before?

I am also waiting for the MultiMaster clone from Bosch because the corded model from Bosch has dust collection feature built-in. The model from Harbor Freight doesn't have any dust collection feature. But the corded model from Bosch is not available in US (only in Europe). Moreover, I figure I can live with not having the dust collection built-in the tool if the price is so low.

Thanks for any info in advance.

Jay Chan

Reply to
Jay Chan

On 11/14/2008 9:40 AM Jay Chan spake thus:

In another thread here, "HeyBub" threatened to buy one, so I'm hoping he reports back after using it.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Now that the patent has expired, you can get a Multimaster clone made by Dremel for $100. For the extra $50, I think that one would be a better value than HF junk.

Reply to
Marilyn & Bob

On 11/14/2008 10:44 AM Marilyn & Bob spake thus:

But how do you know how good the Dremel version is?

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

This tool will be on sale on "Black Friday" at your neighborhood retail store (there are five stores in New Jersey where you are). The sale price will be $39.99.

GET THERE EARLY! (Hours are 7:00a.m. to 8:00 p.m.)

Reply to
HeyBub

I think BobJ's point is that Dremel a certain "brand value" to protect & making a crappy tool (a'la HF) could tarnish that brand.

HF already a "brand value"...at least in my mind, crappy tools "on the cheap" that may or may not hold up...but if they fail, one is not disappointed... after all the tool is from HF.

I know nothing about the Dremel MM knockoff...I use my buddy's MM & we buy blades (10pk) from Coastal Tool online.

At this point if I wanted a MM..I'd look for a used one.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

I saw the Dremel version at Lowe's. It looked like a toy compared to the real deal. You can buy the basic Fein MM kit for $165.00 . I would pony up the extra $65.00 before I would buy the Dremel. I'm looking forward to a review on the HF unit.

We use a real MM in our home repair business and its fantastic.

Reply to
cm

Think: Revolver.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I will go to Lowes to take a look of the Dremel version.

The price that you quote for a basic Fein MultiMaster kit sounds reasonable. But their accessories are going to be very expensive. Can I buy off brand accessories to use with the Fein MultiMaster.

I am still waiting for the corded version from Bosch that has built-in dust collection feature. But if they don't sell it in US by next spring, I will have to look elsewhere.

Jay Chan

Reply to
Jay Chan

Jay,

You can buy off brand blades on eBay for 1/2 the price of Fein. I have also bought a few Fein accessories on eBay for a reasonable price. The Dremel unit is almost a third smaller than the Fein MM. Fein makes a very serious tool.

The price that you quote for a basic Fein MultiMaster kit sounds reasonable. But their accessories are going to be very expensive. Can I buy off brand accessories to use with the Fein MultiMaster.

I am still waiting for the corded version from Bosch that has built-in dust collection feature. But if they don't sell it in US by next spring, I will have to look elsewhere.

Jay Chan

Reply to
cm

The problem is the same if you have to reload and are not careful with the hulls. For example, just yesterday, a chap was shot 32 times with a .38 and lived.

Unfortunately, he was shot a total of 45 times.

"[JEFFERSON, N.C.] Prosecutors say a man shot by his best friend 45 times lived through the first 32 shots."

P.S. I just saw a bootleg movie, "Taken," starring Liam Neeson. The movie is not yet released in the United States. Anway, I learned a lesson in gunfighting: If you leave an encounter with unexpended rounds in your gun, you have not done the best job possible.

Excellent movie.

"If you want ransom, know that I do not have any money. What I do have is a special set of skills that I have honed over a lifetime. If you let my daughter go now, that will be the end of it. If you do not, I will hunt you down and I will kill you."

A bit later, the Neeson character walks into a room with six Albanian mobsters. He kills five and wounds one. He then kills the other eight or ten in the house. The wounded one is strapped to a chair and Neeson drives railroad spikes into his upper thighs ("I need you to focus"), then hooks up the spikes to the house electrical current.

This little episode takes place in Paris. Anyone know whether the power mains there are 120 or 240?

Reply to
HeyBub

I assume he gets his daughter back, right?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Like most of Europe, a wall outlet there will be

220 volts AC 50 Hz (cycles). OUCH!

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

The movie is predicated on these Albanian thugs kidnapping young, (mostly) blonde girls to be sold into white slavery for the benefit of Arab sheiks and extremely rich Middle Eastern oil barons. They pay really big bucks for young virgins.

I don't want to spoil the movie by telling you whether it has a happy ending. I can say, however, it has a happy middle as Neeson merrily kills assorted goblins, almost all with their own weapons (if they don't have weapons, Neeson uses his hands).

Reply to
HeyBub

This means I cannot use Dremel accessories in a Fein MultiMaster. Oh well...

Jay Chan

.
Reply to
Jay Chan

I find out from the review in the following URL that Bosch and Dremel have the same parent company:

I guess Bosch is not going to bring their corded version to US to compete with the corded version from Dremel. This means Bosch will likely only sell their cordless version in US. This is VERY disapponting to me in many ways: According to the review, the battery in the Bosch cordless version cannot last very long between charges, and I intend to use it for hours in one setting; the Dremel version may not be very durable. And the Bosch cordless and Dremel corded versions both don't have dust collection feature. I have decided not to wait for the Bosch corded version; it will not come.

Seem like the corded version from Rockwell called Sonicrafter (one 'c') is a winner. Their most expensive model ($180) comes with dust collection feature that I am looking for, and it also comes with all kinds of accessories. The price of their accessories is not too bad. And the tool itself seems like quite durable. But I will not buy right now. I will wait a while to hear more from other people experience on this tool. I will not need to use it until the weather becomes warm when I can resume working on my boat. Therefore, there is no rush.

As for the Harbor Freight model, I guess it probably will work fine if it is not being used for an extended period. But I am going to use that tool for hours in one setting. I doubt that it can last that long. Despite the fact that it will cost very little ($40 on Black Friday), I think I will pass on this one.

Jay Chan

.
Reply to
Jay Chan