Multi-Ladder

My new house has a chandelier over the stairs with a couple of burned out b ulbs so I now have a need for a multi-ladder. I see that Harbor Freight ha s a 17' one for $115 so I'm interested in hearing if anyone bought a simila r ladder and how it worked out for them.
I wonder about the quality of tools at Harbor Freight but I presume I'd onl y need to use this ladder a couple times a year, nevertheless, I'll buy som ething else if the joints failed after a few years for someone else. For e xample, Home Depot has the Werner 17' multi-ladder for $139. Bob Simon New Orleans
On Friday, August 12, 2016 at 7:37:20 AM UTC-4, Bob Simon wrote:

has a 17' one for $115 so I'm interested in hearing if anyone bought a simi lar ladder and how it worked out for them.

omething else if the joints failed after a few years for someone else. For example, Home Depot has the Werner 17' multi-ladder for $139.

werner made in china.
replace all bulbs with led ones to minimize future service.
i had a customer who hated climbing so he had his fixture motorized, one sw itch lowers it to ground level, for easy cleaning and bulb replacement..... .
he had a photo of his set up on his office wall
On Friday, August 12, 2016 at 7:37:20 AM UTC-4, Bob Simon wrote:

has a 17' one for $115 so I'm interested in hearing if anyone bought a simi lar ladder and how it worked out for them.

omething else if the joints failed after a few years for someone else. For example, Home Depot has the Werner 17' multi-ladder for $139.

Have you considered looking on Craigslist, OfferUp or eBay?
Are you really in New Orleans?
https://neworleans.craigslist.org/tls/5722283436.html
I bought a $150 Werner step ladder for $60 on eBay. My son just bought a multi-ladder for $35 on OfferUp. I think it was a 12' model.
On Fri, 12 Aug 2016 04:37:14 -0700 (PDT), Bob Simon

Keep in mind the multi ladders are pretty heavy. I had a heavy duty 20 foot multi-ladder for about 15 years and traded it straight up for my neighbors cheap 20 foot extension ladder. It was just a hassle to use, especially as I got older. Have you looked into the stick bulb-changers?
On 8/12/2016 9:48 AM, Vic Smith wrote:

I agree. I have not been able to handle my big aluminum extension ladder for several years now. A shorter one, about 20 ft, I can use in inside hallway. I can still easily lift over 100 lbs but extended, forget it.
[snip]

I have one of those ladders (aluminum,heavy, and hard to move). I have used it to get on the roof, but mainly it's kept in one place (storage closet off garage) for attic access. I use a lighter ladder for most things.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
In wrote:

I agree about the weight. What a pain. I have two of them, one is the original Little Giant and it was a gift to me. I forget the size, but it's not the largest version. I also went out and bought the similar version multi-ladder at Home Depot -- Werner, I guess -- and I think it's the 17 foot (when extended) version.
When I watch the Little Giant commercials I always laugh because it shows a woman just carrying it around like it is nothing. It ain't nothing -- it weighs a ton according to my estimate. Okay, yes, that's an exaggeration, but for me using either ladder (especially the larger one) is almost always a 2-person job. If I really have to, I can use it and set it up myself, but it is a struggle. I have noticed that the newer Little Giant commercials are pushing a newer model that is supposed to be lighter and also has wheels for "easy moving", etc.
The good news for me regarding my two multi-ladders is that I have a good friend and contractor who also happens to be a tenant in one of my properties. So, I just let him keep and use both ladders. That way, the ladders are available to me if needed, and in most cases, I use him to do the work anyway so he just brings the ladders and he either does the job on his own or we work together. He is not very tall but he is strong and can lift, use, move, and set up either ladder completely on his own. Since he did construction all of his life, he knows how to do that and makes it work.
I am only providing all of these boring details to convey that, yes, those multi-ladders (Little Giant, etc) are really heavy and hard to use.
But, it is also true that both ladders that I have are solid as a rock when they are set up due to the way that they are designed. I don't like going up on ladders, but when set up, these two ladders are fine for me. I do feel safe being on either one because they are so stable.
On Fri, 12 Aug 2016 11:05:28 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

We had one that pulled down, but we only had 8 foot ceilings in the first place, and it sagged a little, so one time I barely jumped up when I was running and I hit my head and knocked a 2" hole in the chimney.
I was fine, however, thank you for asking.