mtd lawnmower help

I bought a used MTD rider but the only number left visible under the seat is 1183A AC which I don't think is the model #. The mower's deck was taken apart and I've rebuilt it but I'm having trouble getting the drive deck-to-engine belt engagement correct. The deck-to-engine belt doesn't have an engagement pulley to take up slack in the belt. Instead it looks like the deck is supposed to swing backwards to take up slack when the deck engagement handle is moved down by the operator. There isn't a separate deck engagement handle. The deck height and engagement handle are the same.
I do know that the engine is a Briggs 42A707, 9601245A which I think means it was made in 1996 which would date the MTD rider. Also the rider is an 18hp, 46" cut hydro.
Does anyone know what the MTD model number might be and where I could find a schematic of the deck to mower linkages? Or does someone have some tips.
There are a pair of hangers on either side to link the deck to the tractor and there doesn't appear to be a wrong way to hang those 4 points. Then there is an threaded adjustable hook on one side. And finally at the back end is a swing arm that goes around the main deck drive pulley. It looks like this arm might be there to stop the deck belt when disengaged. The swing arm connects to the tractor via 2 hanging bars and there are several holes to choose from. Also on the one side is a rod that is connected to the engagement handle. This is the setup that I think I need to know how to connect.
The belt that seems to fit best is a 5L 58" long.
I went to MTD's website but couldn't find a way to get to the model number since the one on my machine is faded away-unless the 1183A AC is the model #.
Thanks Bill
Path: finder4.readnews.com!fe10-msgid.iad02.newshosting.com!textbe01-ams!hwmnpeer02.ams!hw-filter.ams!hwmnpeer01.ams!hwmedia!news-out.ntli.net!newsrout1-gui.ntli.net!ntli.net!news.highwinds-media.com!cycny01.gnilink.net!cyclone1.gnilink.net!gnilink.net!nx02.iad01.newshosting.com!newshosting.com!216.196.98.140.MISMATCH!border1.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!postnews.google.com!i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair Subject: mtd lawnmower help Date: 23 Apr 2006 06:03:59 -0700 Organization: http://groups.google.com Lines: 37
NNTP-Posting-Host: 69.215.136.106 Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" X-Trace: posting.google.com 1145797446 19578 127.0.0.1 (23 Apr 2006 13:04:06 GMT) X-Complaints-To: snipped-for-privacy@google.com NNTP-Posting-Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 13:04:06 +0000 (UTC) User-Agent: G2/0.2 X-HTTP-UserAgent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; YPC 3.2.0; .NET CLR 1.0.3705; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; yplus 5.1.02b),gzip(gfe),gzip(gfe) Complaints-To: snipped-for-privacy@google.com Injection-Info: i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com; posting-hosti.215.136.106; posting-account=9mdlag0AAAANygKg7QCWNJZ_Pc75pE_8 Xref: finder4.readnews.com alt.home.repair:250134 X-Received-Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 06:04:07 MST (textbe01-ams)
[...]
I have a later MTD mower similar to yours. The drive belt length and friction characteristics are pretty critical if the engagement and dis-engagement are to work properly. I have not found generic belts to be satisfactory. I will check the location of my model number tomorrow. You can generally get the MTD manuals downloaded from their website. They will give you the parts layout and belt information you need. You are correct in that the drive is disengaged by the deck moving forward. There are likely two long studs that keep the loose belt close to the motor pulley on each side. If these are missing or bent the belt will not stay centered around the pulley and will not disengage fully. Hope this helps some. Don Young

My model number is on a label attached to the bottom of the seat. Don Young