MTD snowblower

I just fired up my brand new MTD 30" snowblower. The noise from the engine in so loud that it is unbearable, even with earmuff type ear protectors on. What could be the problem?

Reply to
always4peace

What kind of noise? Exhaust noise or mechanical noise? If the latter, did you check whether it had any oil in it, and put oil in it if needed?

Did you read the Owner's Manual, or are you a "real man"(TM)?

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Always 4 peace:

A 30 inch snowblower will have a gasoline engine on it and will need oil in the crank case. Where I live, most people use 5W30 simply because it's hard to get 0W30. Both should work OK in your snow blower.

Pull out the dip stick on the engine and confirm the oil level is in the cross hatched section of the dip stick.

(IF you ran that snow blower for any length of time without any oil in the crank case, you may have ruined the engine in it. Please tell us you didn't do that.)

If there's oil in the crank case, check that there is a muffler on the engine and that it's securely fastened in place.

Reply to
nestork

blower. The noise from the engine in so loud that it is unbearable, even with earmuff type ear protectors on. What could be the problem?

I had a lawn mower that did that. The muffler had rotted and fallen off. My mower wasn't "brand new", but who can tell. Defective muffler? Missing from factory in Chinky?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Take it outside. It makes a lot of reverberation when you run it in the kitchen.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Mufflers wear out. Did you examine yours?

Reply to
Don Phillipson

Says the machine is brand new. How many miliseconds are mufflers rated, anyway?

I'm on the "defect in manufacture" theory.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Did you miss the BRAND NEW part above ? My bet is that the place he bought from it didn't service it before delivery . Though that would depend on where it was purchased , and he should have checked things like oil , etc before he ever started it . Ya think we'll ever hear back what the problem is/was ? I have doubts ... mostly because the poster is not a regular to this group .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

The problem is that you bought an MTD.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

Don't they make a half dozen other brands too? Just change the paint color and label.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

He DID say "brand new"

Reply to
clare

+1 You name it, MTD is the power behind the throne. IIRC, you have Cub Cadet, MTD, Troy-Bilt (there goes the neighborhood), and many, many more. I suspect you're swinging low with a half dozen, Ed.
Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Well, some wear out really, really, REALLY quick.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us...

^^^^^^ Haaaaa, good one. When I did it in the bedroom it got caught in the shag carpet!

Reply to
Tekkie®

Unquestionably Confused posted for all of us...

Especially without earl.

Reply to
Tekkie®