mower won't turn over

Page 1 of 2

my 42" MTD mower with a 17hp. motor won't turn over..new starter, new battery. when i turn the key it seems like the battery doesnt have enough 'umph' to get the motor spinning...i have the correct cold cranking amps for the size motor.also, am i correct in assuming that when the motor is running that the battery is getting charged. the mower is about 4 years old.. thanks, cj

I would put the battery on a charger. While I was waiting for the battery to charge I would clean all connections. Is there a starting solenoid?

Maybe dead battery, or bad starter. Try jumping it, or pull the plug and see if it will turn over without compression

And if when you crank it with the plug out, it cranks fine and gas shoots out of the plug hole then the carb is hosed up. Fluids don't compress easily.

My thoughts exactly. Thats what happened to my Agway ride-on mower. The motor would not even crank. When I pulled the plug it was all flooded with gas. let it dry a bit, put the plug back and it fired up.
On Sun, 6 Sep 2009 13:12:14 -0700 (PDT), Mike rock

Called a "flooded cylinder" (my learning). Generally it means the carb float has "sunk" (tiny hole) or is stuck open. With the plug out, piston top dead center, strike a match from a distance and ignite the fumes in the cylinder. Dry's the flood right up. Fix the float.
YMMV
Insert hands under edge and lift. You should be able to flip it. If it's real heavy, get some help.
Really. Eliminate things as suggested, except the match and gas thing. When checking the plug, I have always engaged the help of a relative to hold the plug wire, but I'm running out of ones who want to help me.
Steve

They learned fast.
"My mower won't shut off, just piss on the spark plug ". Damn how fast people can run!

I saw someone piss on an electric fence, that was funny.

But if it flooded from the carb often oil level is up because its full of gas, then oil is worthless a motor can be ruined with gas diluted oil, gasolene doesnt lubricate.

Yea well, let's not depress the hell out of the OP. Hopefully something simple.
Hey, I had a bad motor in an old pickup once. Good news was it then got 400 miles to the gallon...of oil.

A good friend could not get his Honda mower to turn over this spring and called me over to take a look. He had never cleaned out the deck, and a "wad" of dried chewed up grass had flaked loose from the deck, jamming the blade. A few minutes with a dull stich had the deck cleaned out and it has started and run just fine ever since.

Yep, my old Ryobi (rebadged MTD) flooded teh cylinder with enought to hydrolock plus filled crankcase with gas.
Harry K

A friends gen did that, I pulled the plug, pulled the cord and I swear gas shot out 10ft out the plug hole, the crankcase was about completely full of gas, a 1$ inline fuel filter probably would have avoided this. Im suprised how most equipment lack inline filters as standard.

I diagnosed the problem when it wouldn't turn over (saw gas on dipstick). Pulled plut and made sure the plug wire could not spark. Changed oil and then hit the starter - let it roll for many seconds to clear it out. Problem was the usual 'stuck float valve'.
??? Why would an inline filter prevent it? It is just a porous filter andgas should flow through it, perhaps not as fast as an unobstructd line but...
Harry K
On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 07:18:25 -0700 (PDT), harry k

It would keep the crap out of the float valve - most common cause of "stuck" float valve.
On Sep 8, 6:25pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

But that is what happened to mine. Stuck float valve and it did have an in'line.
Harry K
Red Green wrote:

i pulled the plug a a ton of gas shot out when i cranked it over...so that means a bad float? what do you mean when you say the carb is hosed up? on the bottom of my float there is some sort of sensor two wire, one black one white thanks, cj
A carburetor float is NOT visible. It has no wires of any type. What I believe you are seeing is a low oil cutoff switch.
--
Keep the whole world singing . . . .