Mower Problem

I have a Yardman self-propelled push-mower (MTB) with a 6.5hp engine.
Symptoms:
1) When cold, will start after 5x priming, then dies. 2) If I manually throttle it, I can keep it running until it heats up. 3) If I move it at all, before its hot, it dies. 4) Once really hot, it runs fine and restarts fine.
Miscellaneous information that might be unrelated:
1) I had to clean the carburator last year, as it had gummed up. The throttle settings have not been the same since.
2) The baffle is badly broken. I say this because there is a rod that goes from the throttle to the undercarriage to help control the speed of the engine (I think).
Any help is appreciated.
-- ML
ML wrote:

One other thing, if I leave the mower in the garage after use, it will fill the entire garage with gasoline fumes. I have had to resort to cracking the garage window to help vent them or leave it outside.
-- ML
The strong smell of gas may suggest that gas is bypassing the needle valve. Check the oil level to see if it is over full. Check for gas in the air filter.

Is the choke working like it should? May be stuck
i would clean the carb again pain particular attention to the passage in the bowl nut and the needle inlet valve. also install a inline fuel shutoff in the fuel line and turn it off when not in use.

What does MTB mean?

Throttle in the original meaning, close the throttle, lower the speed?

And that is broken?

mm wrote:

Typo, sorry. Should say MTD (the actual maker of the mower, not just YardMan).
-- ML