Mower engine - UPDATE

Page 2 of 2

I've got one with the same problem. I've just been pushing the primer every few seconds after starting untill it warms up enough to run right. I'll also try this and maybe other fixes suggested here and see what happens.
Bob

It really shouldn't be necessary to do this.
Given this engine needs intake, compression, power and exhaust.
Think air and fuel - without a primer bulb.... -- Oren

It shouldn't be necessary, but if I don't do it the engine dies, just as the O.P. described. What exactly are you trying to say?
Bob
On Sat, 26 May 2007 17:05:26 -0700, Bob F wrote:

Either disassemble the carb and clean it exhaustively or take it to someone who can. Or buy a new carb.

At some point, I will. But it's no crisis.
Which still doesn't tell me what the previous poster was trying to say.
Bob

Pushing the primer bulb after the engine starts; to keep it running tells the carb needs attention... cleaned/rebuilt.

Oren

Which is kind of what I meant when I said " I'll also try this and maybe other fixes suggested here and see what happens."
I knew it had a problem. I was just saying that the suggestions would be useful in solving it.
Bob
Says the motor is running lean (too little gas) for some reason.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
Oh, OK I wasn't sure, but since that is the same issue that I am having with mine, I figured to go with that.
Searcher
this newsgroup with:

what are you talking about? You need to leave *some* part of the previous post for your reply to make any sense whatsoever.
Thanks to everyone who has responded to my original post. Your help is greatly appreciated.
I was finally able to get at it again today and I'm happy to report that everything is fine now. The motor runs like a charm and it starts on the first pull. Here is what I did:
took the carb apart once again. This time I meticulously cleaned all little channels and orifices. Blew with compressed air to make sure all passages are fine. I dumped out the old gas, some of which spilled on the garage floor. It sat there for quite a while and didn't evaporate. So just out of curiosity, I spilled a small amount of fresh gas to see if it evaporates first..... I immediately noticed the difference in consistency between the two fluids. The old stuff was thicker than the new. It has been about four hours since I did that and there are still remnants of the old gas on the floor, while the fresh has since evaporated.
I'm not into gasoline sniffing but I noticed a difference in smell between the two as well.
I believe that was my initial problem from the get go. While I did not notice any clogging in the carburetor, it's quite possible that the engine had trouble sucking the old gas out of the bowl, since it was so thick (just a hypothesis).
So it looks like I will have to introduce my brother to a gas stabilizer and make sure he uses it before storing the mower.
Thanks again to all.
Alex
On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 19:56:05 -0700, awiecek wrote:

Glad you got it going.

That gas was probably your entire problem. It would be interesting to try to burn it.

Or just run it dry at the end of the season. Choke it or push the primer as it runs dry to keep it running and burn off as much gas as possible.
Bob
On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 19:56:05 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Perfect.
I believe the orifices in the carb throat were "shellacked" over time with the bad gas and cleaning them was the best method. They needed to be cleared for air/fuel mixture.
I use a tiny stainless wire, but a carb cleaner solvent works well when the carb can be soaked over night. The solvent can has a basket for parts (auto store)...
Good job...
-- Oren

start or poor running. Unless I know it is fresh, dumping the old fuel is one of the first things I do when troubleshooting.
Don Young
Once again, thanks to all of you for the suggestions.
That being said, I have an old boat motor that did the exact same thing to me last year. I could not figure out what was wrong with it and it's quite possible we're looking at the same issue.
Thanks again you guys.
Alex