moving water heater outside

We have a natural gas water heater in the pantry in the kitchen. We need more space, and are thinking about moving the woater heater outside the house. We would have to build on a small structure to house it, but we have an old gas grill with a working line that we would use.
Does anyone have any lead for information resources about this? Does anyone have any experience with this who would be willing to share some pointers?
TIA, CC.
Was fishing around looking for something else - just thought I'd say to
watch out for drafts - they'll put out the pilot.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

The only water heater I know that is designed for outside is a tankless Rinnai. With a tank if it gets below 70 at night it will up your bill, freezing and pilot going out is another concern. for a smll space look into tankless Bosch, Rinnai or Takagi, you will save alot on water heating. I have a Bosch and will never go back to a tank, my savings are that good.
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net says...

Takagi's tankless TK2 also allows outdoor mounting in milder climates, but beware of freezing your heat exchanger if it gets too cold where you are.
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/

Almost all tankless gas water heaters can be installed outside with an exterior vent cap. As for models designed to be installed outside without any additional accessories, there are also the Bosch 250SXO and the Paloma PH-28ROFN. Wayne, who's spent too much time researching this
I have a Bosch and will never go back to a tank, my savings are that good.

Is yours gas or electric? Were you able to install it in the same location as your tank and keep the re-plumbing to a minimum?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

enforcing local building code. Never seen a water heater outside but seems a lot of work to re-route and insulate hot and cold lines. Depending on where you are the tank may need also insulation to minimize heat loss and straps .
Andy writes:
This is a common practice in Mexico - to have the water heater on the outside. One advantage is that the lost heat doesn't heat up the house. Another is the fact that it is a warm temperate climate, and it is often warmer outside than inside, hence less heat loss.....
I can't imagine any code that would prohibit it, but I've never seen it done in the US. Usually it is in the garage , where the temp is close to the "outside" temp, but the ventilation is good. Andy

Its fairly common in southern Callifunny. Same reasons.
On Wed, 9 Nov 2005 23:00:41 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Rich Greenberg) wrote:

Ditto, South Florida. Mine is in an attached concrete block building with the water softener and R.O. Keeps the load off the A/C.

Can I assume you are in a mild climate where it will not freeze the pipes? Check local code as to the structure required. It may be considered an addition to the house and a permit may be required for that, as well as the gas inspection.