Moving/removing snow

Page 1 of 2
Does anyone have any experience with the item found at this web site:
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?p=WX2&i 576
It's called a Vertex Ergonomic Snow Shovel. It is essentially a small snow plow on wheels. I'm thinking of getting it. I live near Buffalo, NY and we get quite a bit of snow.
Also, what about this stuff:
http://www.brookstone.com/shop/product.asp?product_code "5003&world_code=5&category_code&subcategory_code08&search_type=subcategory&cm_ven=Compare&cm_cat=Trafficleader&cm_platafeed&cm_ite=Keyword
It's Brookstone Bare Ground System. You're supposed to spray it on your driveway and it stops 3 to 4 inches of snow from sticking. Then what? Do you spray more on to stop more snow from sticking? Can this stuff really work?
Anyone with experience with these two things?
Thanks!
Lesley
The Brookstone liquid is probably urea fertizilizer solution. Save your money.
Having lived in Rochester NY myself, regarding the shovel, save your money and move. My wife and her whole family got out of Buffalo 15 or so years ago and never looked back.

http://www.brookstone.com/shop/product.asp?product_code "5003&world_code=5&category_code&subcategory_code08&search_type=subcategory&cm_ven=Compare&cm_cat=Trafficleader&cm_platafeed&cm_ite=Keyword
There is no shovel, no matter what it looks like, that can compare to even a cheap snow blower - 7-8 hp, a 24 inch blade, and a 2 stage impeller.
Spray on snow stopper - give your head a shake. <G>
-- PDQ
--
| Does anyone have any experience with the item found at this web site: | | http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?p=WX2&i=86576 | | It's called a Vertex Ergonomic Snow Shovel. It is essentially a small | snow plow on wheels. | I'm thinking of getting it. I live near Buffalo, NY and we get quite a | bit of snow. | | Also, what about this stuff: | | http://www.brookstone.com/shop/product.asp?product_code=225003&world_code=5&category_code=97&subcategory_code=9708&search_type=subcategory&cm_ven=Compare&cm_cat=Trafficleader&cm_pla=Datafeed&cm_ite=Keyword | | It's Brookstone Bare Ground System. You're supposed to spray it on | your driveway and it stops 3 to 4 inches of snow from sticking. Then | what? Do you spray more on to stop more snow from sticking? Can this | stuff really work? | | Anyone with experience with these two things? | | Thanks! | | Lesley |
Lesley wrote:

No one has experience with it as this is the first year it has been on the market. They make some nice claims for it indicating that it is possible for people who might not otherwise be able to shovel a drive to do so. Only time will tell. I am skeptical.

http://www.brookstone.com/shop/product.asp?product_code "5003&world_code=5&category_code&subcategory_code08&search_type=subcategory&cm_ven=Compare&cm_cat=Trafficleader&cm_platafeed&cm_ite=Keyword
It is likely as noted fertilizer repackaged and sold for 10 times the original price.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Joseph Meehan wrote:

* Error * I confused this one with another recently introduced shovel system. Sorry.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

If you have a couple inches of powder, that looks like it would do a great job. But then so would anything else. I seriously doubt you could get it to move with 4" of wet snow. BTW, you don't shovel snow, you push it. Get a snow pusher. Make one run down the driveway and then push on either side towards the sides. At the end you might have to break out the snow shovel. If it is snowing steadily, go out every few hours. It is much easier to do 3" 3 times then try to deal with 9". However, I will second the recommendation of a snow blower. Unless you are on a very tight budget, don't bother with a small electric; they are not much easier than a pusher. Get a medium sized gas; I got mine at Sears for about $300 a couple years ago.

http://www.brookstone.com/shop/product.asp?product_code "5003&world_code=5&category_code&subcategory_code08&search_type=subcategory&cm_ven=Compare&cm_cat=Trafficleader&cm_platafeed&cm_ite=Keyword
Wouldn't that be great if it worked! It would put all the snow plows out of business.
I have to drive to Buffalo on Tuesday; sure hope that storm holds off.
Toller wrote:

It is designed for moving wet snow. How well it does it is yet to be seen. I really question how well it will do.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Joseph Meehan wrote:

* Error * I confused this one with another recently introduced shovel system. Sorry.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
It is much easier to do

Is that what you tell the wife?
-snip-

-snip-
I have to strongly disagree. I've been shoveling or blowing snow in upstate NY for 40+ years. My current driveway is about 100' long, and on a steep incline. Several years ago my health was poor & I hired a guy to plow my drive. My brother-in-law had a Toro 1800 [the larger electric- about $300] that he gave me to do my sidewalks. [I had a 10hp[?] 2-stage blower that was having trouble starting.] One storm with that little electric & I fell in love. The next year the snow-plow guy went out of business- and I didn't call anyone else. Now I do my driveway with that little electric.
I blow a centerline- then blow to the edges and make a 20' path. Then I go to my turnaround, set it to blow straight ahead and make a 30' deep turnaround spot. It eats the wet snow that the plows thow up. [I'm on a heavily salted hill & that was always shovel work with my 2-stage.
It likes 6-8" of medium snow best, but has thrown 6" of slush and 24" of fluff without complaining as much as that old, heavy 2-stage used to.
In years where I need to cut back snowbanks, I can pick up that electric in one hand and throw that snow 20' away. 6 foot banks that the plow threw up disappear without me breaking a sweat. . . . well, maybe a light sweat.<g>
Not to mention it is quiet, always starts, cleans better than any blower I've ever owned, needs no gas, hangs on a hook in the garage, can be rebuilt on a kitchen table, is machine enough that my teenagers will use it, and un-intimidating enough that my wife has even taken a turn for fun.
I use about $30 of parts each year. I replace the skids, rotor and blade. My driveway is about 1/2 [rough] concrete and half gravel. A smoother drive would make these parts last longer.
As you can see I love my little Toro. Even if I had to pay full price for it, $300, I would consider it one of the best tool buys I ever made.
Jim
It seems like an over-engineered version of the snow-pusher I use. Mine has a normal shovel handle, but it's a 16" - 18" plow at the end. This is my favorite manual snow mover. If you don't try more than 4" or so, it is the easiest way to clear a driveway. I bought this years ago, and tried to find a replacement last year. I don't know why, but they weren't available.
I'm not sure what the wheels get you, since the plow blade is good enough. And I wonder about that handle.
But the absolute best for my 200-ft driveway is the plow guy. Last year was a pretty big snow year for us and it cost me a little over $200. My driveway was clear enough to drive out to work every morning and totally clear when I got home from work. My 30-yr-old Ariens blower works great, but it's still a bit of work. Nothing like cutting the lawn.
--Marc
Lesley wrote:

--
--Marc

I signed a contract last year with a plow guy and he was only able to plow half of my driveway. Meanwhile, my vehicle was essentially stuck in the other end--the end closest to the garage. My driveway is not only long, but it's very narrow; not only is there a house really close to mine (making it difficult even to back out of my driveway in my own vehicle) but I have steps that come down into the driveway, and the neighbor's house has some kind of exhaust pipe sticking off the side of their house. So maneuvering down the driveway can be tricky even in the middle of the day when the pavement is dry. I've called all over but can't find anyone with a six foot plow (that's the size it would have to be to fit down the gauntlet that is my driveway).
Lesley

If the blade was bigger, you could use it to scoop and carry off snow. However, with that blade, you can't do much except push. I was expecting something closer to this with wheels. Sort of like a low-profile scooping wheelbarrow :-)
http://www.snowscoop.com/ (BTW - no endorsement of this item.)

In the long run, a snowblower may be cheaper.
If you have a real problem with snow (We in Toronto are always amused to see the snowstorms run south of Lakes Erie and Ontario) hire a student to shovel - they still do that, don't they?
Mike
(We in Toronto are always amused

Yes, but we are several degrees warmer and have much better skiing. I am always amused when I go up the ski lift with Canadians (from as far away as Windsor) cause I had a 20 minute drive.
Michael Daly wrote:

The claim is that as you push it forward, it moves to snow to the side. I see some holes on the idea, but I have not actually seen the tools or worked with it. I think I will stick with my small, but effective little electric.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Joseph Meehan wrote:

* Error * I had confused this one with another one of totally different design. Sorry.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Don't buy it (the shovel). It won't work on Lake Effect snows.
The Bare Ground is kinda OK. But I only use it at my side gate where the stabilizer bar of the fence goes into the ground. It's too expensive to spray all over the place.
I bought mine from this site: http://www.drpower.com/prdSell.aspx?X=1&Name=LiquidIceMeltWithSprayerOneGal lon&p1Nametalog&Chap=WinterProducts&src=AW51568XE2553829
Pasar
Thanks, Pasar. What do you mean by "kinda OK"? Does it work only on snow? What about ice? If it works on both, I could use it on my porches, which do not have any awnings or anything over them. I have three porches, and I'm terrified that someone is going to slip and fall on any one of them during the winter because they get so slippery.
I may be expensive, but if it would work on my porch steps/landings, it would be worth it.
Lesley

It does but just kind of on a limited basis. Here, it can snow every day so there is applying the stuff and then again and again. I'd suggest buying it and trying it out.
It's not a miracle product but it does work to some extent. I only use it in a small area around my gate. I've sprayed the product on my gate latch and lock when we were forewarned of freezing rain. It kept the latch free and clear. Pasar
As for the spray on stuff, I don't know if its the same stuff, but the county where I lived tried a spray on snow remover (supposedly less corrosive than salt to County equipment) instead of salt one year. it performed as advertised except in one regard. When first applied (until dried) the stuff was slicker than ice. AFter several cars went in the ditch on an otherwise snow free road, they stopped the experiment.