.. with 360° maneuverability
Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
¯eJ4RwfFbg&feature=popt02us05
Add pictures here
✖
Oren wrote:

Awesome!
Not anything like that, but I often wondered what it would be like to have a hitch on the front bumper, just for parking or getting out of tight spaces?
Add pictures here
✖
Tony wrote:

Front hitches are very common and useful for pushing a trailer into a tight space.
Add pictures here
✖
Tony wrote:

That trailer must be made of card boards.
Add pictures here
✖

I disagree. Watching, when moving forward, the front shocks change positions. You can see the VW squat-down in the rear under a load of those days. Not likely with card board.
Add pictures here
✖

I noticed the same thing. Not real wild about that carrier top hitch, also. A clever concept, but not terribly practical.
nb
Add pictures here
✖

re: "but not terribly practical"
Just curious - Why do you say that?
It certainly seems practical when used as shown in the video - with the right sized car, it sure seemed to perform as advertised.
Add pictures here
✖
On 3/15/2010 5:39 PM, Oren wrote:

The video was recorded in 1974. I remember seeing fifth wheel camper trailer ads from back then with hitches mounted on car roofs. As I recall they were the same size as the big fifth wheels of today that are being towed around with trucks.
Roof towing with cars was short lived. There must have been some serious issues with safety. Bet the lawyers had a field day with them.
You would need one big roll cage built into the cars passenger compartment to support the hitch. Too bad, it was a good idea. If nothing else they would have made some good action movie footage.
LdB
Add pictures here
✖

I actually saw one at a RV show. It was different, I'll say that, Never saw one again, on road or otherwise.
Duke
Add pictures here
✖
Oren wrote:

Wow, that's pretty darned cool!
I must admit I an nostalgic for the days before the outdoorsman's "arms race" of campers and big trucks/SUVs.
Jon
Add pictures here
✖