Mounting Shelf Without Damaging Walls?

Page 2 of 2

Whilst I was hanging by the hotel pool last night (move in day is today) the wife went out and bought one of these:
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=15120444
It might not be tall enough, but we'll see.
I may have a corner shelf for sale. Stay tuned!

Well, as it turned out, my 2nd daughter's dorm room has no corners.
By that I mean this:
On the window wall, the windows come within 3" of the side walls, so there is no wall space on the window wall to mount the shelf to.
On the opposite wall (not that we would mount the shelf on that wall anyway) the door is on one side and a typical dorm room open "closet" on the other.
In other words, there isn't one corner where a corner shelf could be mounted directly to 2 walls.
Luckily the wife bought one of these so that daughter is all set:
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=15120444
Now, in my 1st daughter's new dorm rooom (the daughter who has been using a shelf like that for years) I mounted the shelf with 8 pairs of the Medium 3M Command picture hanging strips, 4 pairs per side.
The strips themselves are certainly strong enough, so as long as the paint holds, she should be all set. The Command strips seem much more secure than the adhesive backed Velcro did.
Thanks for all the suggestions!

I didn't have time to read all the responses so I'm sorry if this is a repe at of someone else. I have had great success with the 3M command strips bot h in hanging pictures and some wighty objects from our walls. I would doubl e duty it and use the picture frame holders as stands and set the shelf on top of those towards the ends and maybe a couple of the velco kind one on e ach side of part that goes in the corner to keep it there. and If it doesn' t balance well on the picture frame holders I might try a rubber band betwe en them wrapped a couple times around the "nail" parts of the hangers. Hope this helps.