mounting plank (shelf) to interior wall

I would like to mount a 2 x 6 x 8ft (true dimensions) rough sawn plank/shelf over a patio door. This is on a 1/2 in drywall - 3/4" furring strip - and

9" masonry block wall construction

Anyone have an idea on how to mount this so there are no visible supports...any wall to support this by anchoring into the masonry block....?...this is mostly ornatmental...there will be no heavy items displayed on top but the beam itslef is somewhat heavy (Alderwood)

Thanks, Tim R

Reply to
TimR

Insert 1/2" steel pipe into matching holes in masonry and timber. Keep the holes in the timber near the bottom.

Reply to
dadiOH

I second dadiOH's suggestion.

Reply to
RayV

TimR I would worry about the pipe pulling out of the concrete block.

I would mount a piece of angle iron on the wall (hitting every furring strip) with counter sunk flat head screws. Make the top of the angle protruding outward. Like this: ___ |

Run the plank through your table saw to cut a rabbit on the back/top side of the plank. The rabbit should be the thickness of the angle 'L' against the wall. This will hide the angle iron when looking from the bottom of the shelf. Then run screws through the angle iron into the top of the plank where they won't be seen.

You could cut another rabbit into the top to make the protruding angle 'L' flush with the top.

If you ever want to remove it all you have are some holes to patch.

Just my humble opinion. Tom

Reply to
Tom H

Some good discussion/ideas here:

Locutus

One mortars it in, filling the cell in the block. Thus the pipe is firmly in the mortar so it won't tilt...there is no outward pull (or very little), just downward shear and the pipe/mortar is entirely sufficient for that. Pipe supports in masonry are commonly used many places (not US) to support water heaters of 50 gallons and more. That's 500# or more...

Your screwed on angle iron into a groove or rabbet is fine too.

Reply to
dadiOH