Motion Sensor + Remote Photocell?

I'd like to install a combination motion-sensor (MS), dawn-to-dusk (photocell, or PC) fixture in my garage that would not come on at all during the day, but at night would act like a normal motion-sensing light (during the day, enough light comes in from a small window to make navigation safe).

I'm guessing that the pre-made combo packages offered in the stores are not meant to work inside a garage that just has a small window for daylight.

I have a motion-sensor floodligh unit for starters (Heath-Zenith), but I notice that when it gets current, it has a one-minute or so warmup time, then a "lights on no matter what" for whatever the period the device is set for, and then is goes into normal motion-sensing mode.

Apparently, PCs have a warmup time as well, so putting the PC between the MS and the lights would put a long delay every time the MS sends current to the PC.

Does anyone here know of a way to wire up the MS, PC, and lights so that the MS and PC are always powered up (and warmed up), but the lights only come on when both MS AND PC are closing thier switches?

Thanks,

croy

Reply to
croy

Hi, Our garage has a window and I installed a fixture similar to what you are talking about. It happens to have adjustments for sensitivity and turn off delay. During day time it never comes on but it does when car pulls in or some one walks into the garage after dark. I got it from local harware store for 9.99 on sale and over 10 years it's been working.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

You probably just need to position the motion detector head where it can see daylight. Typical wired in photocells require a minimum load to function, something like 40 watts, so it probably won't pull in with just the load of a motion detector attached to it.

Reply to
RBM

I have a regular Heath/Zenith MD in my garage and it works fine. You can adjust the ambient light sensor so it doesn't come on in the daytime. Just be sure to get the model with the ambient light adjustment. They have lots of models.

Reply to
gfretwell

Almost any hardware store has a motion sensor and daylight sensor combined. I have bought several of that style over the years.

Reply to
hrhofmann

*These units have an adjustable sensitivity for the built-in photocell as well as for the built-in motion sensor:
The sensors are also available separately.
Reply to
John Grabowski