Mothballing a swimming pool (2023 Update)

Neighboring community announced they will not be opening their municipal swimming pool this summer to save money. They say it costs $100,000 to operate for the season, but they must spend $50K to mothball it while it's idle, so only $50K saved.

Wow. What needs to be done to mothball a pool?

Reply to
Bryce

Drain it and sweep it out after it's dry. Sounds odd to me. Half the cost to run it for a year is what it takes to not run it? I'd look into it more?

Rich

Reply to
Rich

lost revenue

Reply to
ransley

Dunno. If the surrounding soil is expansive, there could be concerns with the walls cracking with the pool empty - maybe need to do something to brace the walls?

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

If it's currently covered and empty of water, nothing. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

Like fill it halfway with heavily chlorinated water? Floor heaving is more likely than walls cracking, but I'm no engineer.

(Same concept as why residential sand'n'vinyl pools are never emptied all the way...)

-- aem sends....

Reply to
aemeijers

Maybe you misunderstood or they weren't clear. It may very well be that what they meant was that even with the pool emptied and shut down, there will still be expenses for insurance, security, general maintenance, and other fixed costs that will still need to be paid whether it is open for swimming or not.

Reply to
salty

that's bs. All it takes is a super shocking treatment and a good cover.

Steve Barker

you don't drain a pool unless you want massive amounts of trouble and stand a chance of never using it again.

Steve Barker

Well also, on Vinyl, the stuff shrinks real bad after being exposed to chlorine. If you let it dry out, they usually tear off the top when you refill them. I wouldn't even take a vinyl pool down half way. I used to just pull the hose off the skimmer of our above ground and let that be the winter level.

Steve Barker

Residential pool, sure. A municipal pool is what, a quarter of an acre? Nobody makes covers that big.

-- aem sends....

Reply to
aemeijers

Floating covers are quite commonplace for municipal pools. They retain the heat and reduce evaporation. But the liability issues remain, just as they would with an empty pool.

Reply to
Bob

Next to a school, years ago a community pool was drained for repair. A local kid died after he dove from the diving board into an empty pool. Kids climbed the fence at night for a swim. No lights on.

Reply to
Oren

oh really? best get out and take a look. They certainly don't leave them exposed to fill with leaves and every other kind of shit.

Steve Barker

Aye, they drained one around here a few years ago. Then it rained, raising the water table up to the point where it floated the pool a few inches.

That turned out to be a big mess.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

exactly, and people say concrete don't float.. LOL!

steve

Reply to
Steve Barker

Drained my pool just last year: For what I know it was the first time.

My water table is 385' below the desert and will never cause my pool to float.

Reply to
Oren

What is needed to mothball a pool varies greatly with the design of the pool, the local ground conditions and the local weather conditions.

Reply to
sligoNoSPAMjoe

varies greatly with the

suggest community fund raising to cover the remaining 50 grand difference. and remind them the kids who would of hung out at the pool may turn to mischef and crime, from boredom

Reply to
bob haller

suggest community fund raising to cover the remaining 50 grand difference. and remind them the kids who would of hung out at the pool may turn to mischef and crime, from boredom

Leave about eight inches of water in the deep end of the pool and use it waterboard the miscreants found guilty.

Reply to
Charlie Darwin