mosquito magnet?

Don't place it too close to where you are and place it up wind.

RB

Reply to
RB

The attractant for those Asian tiger mosquitos in Texas is not the same as that sold for the Mosquito Magnet and used for mosquitos endigenous to the US. The problem is that although American Biophysics has an effective attractant for tiger mosquitos, our wonderful government is the problem. The EPA, as of about a year ago hadn't seen fit to bless it's sale. When I lived in Texas I contacted American Biophysics and they provided me the correct attractant, gratis. They could give it to me, they just can't sell it.

RB

John wrote:

Reply to
RB

Not after sunset??? I've murdered quite a few as they sucked my blood while fishing at midnight. I'll take a closer look next time. Maybe it's another bug in a mosquito costume. :-)

Reply to
Doug Kanter

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 21:41:46 GMT, "Bubba" wrote (with possible editing):

We have two of them and have had since they first were released. Originally, there were two sizes, a large one for around $1300 and a smaller one for somewhat less.

We live in northern New Hampshire near the Canadian border. Winters down to -40 and summers to high 90's. We live on the side of a mountain with a southern exposure. We have 150 acres, but our "yard" area is about 2 - 3 acres. There are fields below us and forest above.

The original smaller model, gave us some trouble after about 3 years of service. We could not get it started. The manufacturer, American Biophysics gave us the option of replacing the head for free (out of warranty) or changing it to the more expensive model for $100. We took the latter.

How do they work? Up here, they are excellent. We have a garden behind the house. I couldn't work back there for more than 10 minutes or so because the bugs were so bad in the summer. My wife wore a mosquito hat. We have both mosquitoes and black flies. We put one unit in the back yard and one in the front. Contrary what other folks are saying, ours have been excellent. Within a week or two, the entire area is bug free. The bug nets never fill, but I'd guess they have between 50 - 100 carcasses when we change the nets, attractant, and cylinders every 3 1/2 weeks or so and the bugs are gone.

The downside is that every 3 1/2 weeks you have to change the gas cylinder, place new attractant cartridges, and sometimes change the nets. Cylinders of propane are about $8.00 each, so that's $16.00 plus the cost of the attractant. Even so, it's such a blessing to rid the yard of these pests, that I don't mind the expense.

Hope that helps.

Reply to
L. M. Rappaport

Again, different species behave differently.. Where I'm from they're most active during overcast weather, and twilight.

Reply to
default

That's "crepuscular", which is what I thought all mosquitos were. I'll try to remember it's not all of them.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Shafer