mosquito magnet?

Page 2 of 2
I have no personal experience with these things but we live in the Muskoka , the mosquito capital of Canada, and several people have told me they are useless. I also notice the local stores are not pushing them the way they were a year or two ago. Best solution is to attract bats with a bat house. They'll gobble up all your "noseeums."
ds

CO2
years
the
Everyone I

,
Not only that, but the bat house can be painted to blend in with the spot where you mount it. If anyone in the house thinks bats are disgusting, install it when that person's not home and keep your mouth shut. They'll never know. If they're afraid of bats, they're probably not the kind of people who go outdoors at night anyway.
We tried two different ones here in Austin Tx, first was the original "mosquito magnet" that is sold at Home Depot..In about two weeks time it managed to trap a whopping 12-15 skeeters, wow! (grin) Then we took it back and tried that one that was sold at Costco which made an annoying sound sorta like when you get soda from a soda fountain, you know that air pressure sound that comes from the back somewhere? That baby caught about six..They both went back for refund..From what I have read there are some types of skeeters they work on but others they don't..We have those awful tiger striped ones down here and they are mean..... Hope this helps! John

Muskoka
they
The attractant for those Asian tiger mosquitos in Texas is not the same as that sold for the Mosquito Magnet and used for mosquitos endigenous to the US. The problem is that although American Biophysics has an effective attractant for tiger mosquitos, our wonderful government is the problem. The EPA, as of about a year ago hadn't seen fit to bless it's sale. When I lived in Texas I contacted American Biophysics and they provided me the correct attractant, gratis. They could give it to me, they just can't sell it.
RB
John wrote:

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 21:41:46 GMT, "Bubba"

Locally, the only ones that work worth a damn are the actual original Mosquito Magnets. Not the home models, the $1500 industrial ones. They'll draw down the population for quite an area, and if it's dry for a few weeks you can turn them off. The caution is that in a small lot you'll get bit by the buggers on their way to the magnets. Put them downwind and 100 feet or more from where you'll be. A decent Deet repellent is both more effective and economical.
And yes, we're the home to mosquitos. Giant swamp called the Everglades... :)
Jeff
On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 21:41:46 GMT, "Bubba"

We have two of them and have had since they first were released. Originally, there were two sizes, a large one for around $1300 and a smaller one for somewhat less.
We live in northern New Hampshire near the Canadian border. Winters down to -40 and summers to high 90's. We live on the side of a mountain with a southern exposure. We have 150 acres, but our "yard" area is about 2 - 3 acres. There are fields below us and forest above.
The original smaller model, gave us some trouble after about 3 years of service. We could not get it started. The manufacturer, American Biophysics gave us the option of replacing the head for free (out of warranty) or changing it to the more expensive model for $100. We took the latter.
How do they work? Up here, they are excellent. We have a garden behind the house. I couldn't work back there for more than 10 minutes or so because the bugs were so bad in the summer. My wife wore a mosquito hat. We have both mosquitoes and black flies. We put one unit in the back yard and one in the front. Contrary what other folks are saying, ours have been excellent. Within a week or two, the entire area is bug free. The bug nets never fill, but I'd guess they have between 50 - 100 carcasses when we change the nets, attractant, and cylinders every 3 1/2 weeks or so and the bugs are gone.
The downside is that every 3 1/2 weeks you have to change the gas cylinder, place new attractant cartridges, and sometimes change the nets. Cylinders of propane are about $8.00 each, so that's $16.00 plus the cost of the attractant. Even so, it's such a blessing to rid the yard of these pests, that I don't mind the expense.
Hope that helps.
--
Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com