More on repointing . . .

Thanks to all for the very helpful answers sent in response to my question on repointing of our masonry. I do have one more question:
Do ALL older buildings eventually require repointing? In entirety, or partially? If so, at what age do they normally need this work?
If it does become mandatory, I'm sure my 82-year-old six-unit apartment building will require an outlay in the six figures.

In my last house, I had it done when it was about 55 years old. Many in the neighborhood were also being done at about the same time as the houses were built at the same time.
There are many factors affecting the pointing. Thickness of the joint, chemical composition of the mortar, exposure to weather, the skill of the guy mixing the mortar that day.
I don't know what the actual percentage of buildings that require pointing is, but I'm sure plenty of them do as time will take a toll. Have you ever been to Europe? There are masonry buildings that are 500 to 1000 years old still standing, but most have had restoration. Every historic area of Italy has restoration going on.
Ray wrote:

I would say all will eventually need it. One side or another may need it sooner than others due to different exposure, but I would suggest that under the usual conditions that the whole thing be done at the same time to keep it all looking the same.
How often varies greatly. It depends on the local weather, the type of stone, brick etc and the type of mortar originally used.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
When I was a child my mom and grandma pointed big areas of our home. I visited there a couple years ago and spoke with the current occupant, mentioned the pointing it looks perfect and that must be 40 years ago, since I am 49.
one can do ponting themselves if motivated enough. its not hard just slow and tedious. i have done a small amount here myself
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

While I tend to agree, I would seek advice from someone who knows what they are doing before starting. Using the wrong materials can seriously damage a structure.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit