Moles!

Page 2 of 3
On Mon, 07 May 2007 19:20:47 +0000, Doug Miller wrote:

We use Tasmanian Devils here.
--
#1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
#1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
On Mon, 07 May 2007 19:13:11 GMT, "Donna"

(I won't tell my method, folks laughed., so that is off the table.) Someone a wrote open letter for moles in their yard.
Dear Mound Makers-
Look, I am keenly aware that you were here prior to me buying the house. I am also aware that you were here before the house was built. This land is your landI get that.
The thing is that Im stressed out about you taking over my lawn. I dont give a moles ass if you come up for air in the nooks and crannies of my yard. Theyre yours. But, please, for the love of god and all things holy, leave my lawn alone.
Ive researched several solutions to our co-habitation challenge: however, experts agree that the only real solution is your demise. I do have a trap out in the garage, in fact, it came with the house. I dont know if you or your friends have seen these thingstheyre terrifying. Id be happy to show it to you if youd like. Ill leave it by the large dirt mound (the one you favor) on my front lawn. Dont worry, I wont set it; its simply for display and educational purposes. Go ahead, touch it, get a feel for it. You know, Ill even leave a latte next to it so you can ponder your decision in comfort.
Im hoping we can work this out in a civil fashion, and so, I would appreciate a meeting of the minds with those in charge. Yes, take me to your leaderthe decision maker. Perhaps we can agree to a homeopathic solution; one that wont cause you any harm or discomfort. Please consider my offer and respond accordingly.
Civilly yours,
Property Owner
-- Oren

Come on, tell me. I need something to laugh at other than the swiss cheese masquerading as my front lawn.
Donna
On Mon, 07 May 2007 19:23:57 GMT, "Donna"

Nope, no way. Not in front of ladies. Given this is your front yard you might be arrested or committed ;-)) There is an old thread where I spoke of this method.
Traps are the best; according to folks that use them.
Sorry! -- Oren

tunnels and collapsing them. At worst I have had to do this 3-4 times before I either caught it in the cave in or it went out looking for other less destructive areas. Worked 4-5 times over the last 15 years.
Donna wrote:

A Mossberg 590A1 should work nicely. Pick a mound, stomp it down some, then stake it out and wait for the soil to move.
--
"So long, so long, and thanks for all the fish!"
Dave

Is that a 410 model? -- Oren
Oren wrote:

Nope. http://tinyurl.com/38w9v9
--
"So long, so long, and thanks for all the fish!"
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Almost looks like an 870 Remington used in riot control.
-- Oren
Hey Donna...
I have this little cat. Found her when she was a little kitten, starved half to death and had been tossed into a river. Brought her home and nursed her back to health. She has earned her keep and shown her gratitude. She gets moles, gophers, mice, rats and snakes. Even brought home a squirrel the other day. She's a little cat too.
We live in a pretty rural area though, your mileage may vary.
Kate
Ok, they're kind of cute, admittedly, but I'm not as enamored of the holes in my lawn, and I'm not at all happy that they might move into the house. Is there any way to get rid of moles? I have toddlers and pets, so poison can be difficult to do safely. Advice?
Thanks as always,
Donna

I once had two cats, they caught and ate rabbits, except the kidney. Always left it on the patio; noting but a kidney there.

Oren

They left that part for you!
--
Regards,
On Tue, 08 May 2007 00:25:03 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Sure did.
How do you cook a kidney?
Boil the piss out of it! -- Oren
I once had two cats, they caught and ate rabbits, except the kidney. Always left it on the patio; noting but a kidney there.
OHhhhhhhhh! Is THAT what the mystery meat is that I always find by the back door! Kinda makes you wonder, doesn't it. I thought it was a gall bladder or soemthing.
Thanks Oren
Kate O|||||||O
Kate wrote:

Consider Towser. During her 23-year tenure at the Glenturrent distillery in Scotland she caught 28,989 mice (plus an occasional rat or rabbit). That's better than three mice per day!
Had I been Towser's supervisor, I'd have gotten her a helper!
Donna wrote:

WARNING! I HAVE NOT DONE THIS, SO NO GUARANTEE.
But it *should* have an effect, and is bait / poison / trap free.
You need a cat, preferably an indoor cat, to do this.
Small garden trowel. Excavate both tunnel ends at each and I do mean each, mole hill. Insert half a trowel full of used, urine stained / oaked cat litter in eah tunnel. Replace covering dirt.
Moles have really good olfactory equipment, and cats are among the natural predators. Cat scent, pungent cat scent applied everywhere in the tunnel complex at one time might cause the critters to leave.
Your neighbors may not be real happy when the moles show up in their yards, but this is a mole ridding class, not an ethics class.
I know many mole cures that do not work. The "gas bombs" don't work; flooding tunnels with water doesn't work. The "vibrating" wind things don't work.
For me, a trap has worked. Poisoned peanuts / mole baits may or may not work, you never find the body...
In handling either, use latex / rubber gloves. Moles will smell you on the trap / bait.
A neighbor of mine, back when this area was rural, not suburban sub division as it is now, literally walked around his yard with a 12 ga. 5 round pump shotgun. Mik could "see them tunneling and he'd cut loose with a # 8 load and literally blow them out of the ground.
Moles eat worms and grubs and bugs. Seriously poison your lawn with (?) chlordane (?) to kill off the food supply and the moles supposedly will leave
Me, I on't point shotguns near my feet and fire, nor do I turn the grass areas intoinsect free deserts.
YMMV.
Good luck!
On Mon, 07 May 2007 13:49:30 -0700, jJim McLaughlin

Urine, finally a person hears me!!
Some don't take it serious (I laughed to tears in the thread). I posted about peeing in the yard (G/R rated versions) Homo sapiens urine will chase the mole next door. Tunnel specific ... use the Johnson!
Animals attract and can repel. Urine is a method many might use. -- Oren

Oren and I live in the same town. It must work, because I haven't ever seen a mole here in Las Vegas. Oren must have some potent stuff, there.
Steve ;-)

They absolutely do not like coyote urine, besides the compacted soil and desert rock I cannot even get through :-/
Last mole work for me was back east where they lived.
-- Oren

Urine, finally a person hears me!!
Some don't take it serious (I laughed to tears in the thread). I posted about peeing in the yard (G/R rated versions) Homo sapiens urine will chase the mole next door. Tunnel specific ... use the Johnson!
Animals attract and can repel. Urine is a method many might use. -- Oren
Ehm, *I* heard you... err... next time, close the bathroom door, ok....? LOL
Kate O|||||||O