Moles!

Page 1 of 3
Ok, they're kind of cute, admittedly, but I'm not as enamored of the holes in my lawn, and I'm not at all happy that they might move into the house. Is there any way to get rid of moles? I have toddlers and pets, so poison can be difficult to do safely. Advice?
Thanks as always,
Donna

Victor mole traps. Terriers. Cats.
Not necessarily in that order. :-)
--
Regards,
On Mon, 07 May 2007 19:20:47 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

What is the natural predator for a mole? Something that hunts them as a food source?
-- Oren
Oren wrote:

Dr. Scholl. He hunts them for the moleskin.
--
"So long, so long, and thanks for all the fish!"
Dave

Holy Moly! They must big bumps to the head. -- Oren
Oren wrote:

Cats hunt them because they're there.

I guess they were born knowing that. Some other predator might be on the most lethal list. What hunts a mole for food?
-- Oren
Oren wrote:

I think all cats have a "chase reflex" and knowing this may save your life. For example, assume you cross paths with a cougar while out hiking. If you run, you might as well cover yourself with jelly because you're toast!
Not saying the mountain lion won't put the hurt on you if you stand still, but your chance of survival is zero (or closely adjacent), for sure, if you run.
Cats, however, CAN temper their chase with the knowledge that the chaseable thing is bigger than they are. Cats don't chase cars (unlike some dogs we know). What this means is that you can sometimes bluff a cougar by opening your coat or shirt - to make yourself look bigger - and growling in a menacing fashion. 'Course this doesn't mean diddly to a bobcat, they'll bite you just for the hell of it. That's just what bobcats do.
Then, too, there are cats that are just too lazy to be bothered with chasing anything...

If you get chased by a cougar count yourself among the few. They're all over the place where I live (relatively speaking of course) and I've only seen one while backpacking and it hightailed it out of there before I got a second look. Of course after 4 days in the woods I probably smelled so bad it ran away to avoid the stench!
But otherwise yeah, puff yourself up, wave your arms, yell, and if it ain't backing down - fight it. Run and you will get mauled. Disregard if this is a grizzly bear - draw your gun or you'll die.

In N. America, it's the foxes and Bobcats.

Terriers and cats. :-)
--
Regards,
On Tue, 08 May 2007 00:24:03 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

I was thinking something a little more wild and violent. A predator that thrives on a mole, say as a main / partial diet.. -- Oren
Oren wrote:
SNIPS

Any of the small / medium N. American wild cats, e.g. cougar, mountain lion, bobcat etc., depending what its called in your area.
Coyote, fox. Weasel, stuff like that.
Doubt that any self respecting raptor (small hawk, owl, etc. ) would deign to get dirty digging for one.
Basically the natural predators are all species being pushed out of the ever growing suburbias, so that the mole populations explode as the predators are forced out.

That would be dogs and cats. Coyotes, terriers, cats loves them moles.
Oren wrote:
SNIPS

Wiki has an article on moles at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mole_%28animal%29
Only predator mentioned in the article is dogs.
Wiki is always a crapshoot. You get what you pay for.

Damn. While getting a bobcat to get the moles would be undeniably entertaining, at some point, I would be writing you all asking how to remove the bobcat. Maybe not a workable idea.
Dogs are great. I have a dog. The only problem is, he's a pug, and unless the mole is asleep on a donut, the pug wouldn't be a threat.
<sigh>
Donna
Donna wrote:

You may have reduced the new problem to one that has already been solved (the mathematicians technique).
Now, do moles like donuts?

Well if ya git the donuts with grub and insect sprinkles they might jes' like'em.
--
---
there should be a "sig" here
Donna wrote:

I have a cat, a stray no less, who adopted us. Damn cat won't go outside unless its escorted by three armed humans and runs like a banshee back in as soon as it hears a dog bark, or a car go bye, or Lord forbid, sees another cat.
My cat is a worse hunter than your pug.
On Mon, 07 May 2007 17:47:51 -0700, Oren wrote:

Eagle?