Mold in them thar walls...

Page 1 of 2
Long story short, I have a 16 sq ft area of toxic black mold on both inside surfaces of a sheetrock wall, with no evidence of mold on the exterior surface. The moisture source has been eliminated and the mold is now dormant. If I ignore it and seal the wall, do I have anything to worry about?

Mold is a _serious_ health hazard that can cause many problems. Some people are allergic to it. It also has that unique smell that even a patched out job cannot hide. If I lived in that place, I would certainly replace the drywall and disinfect/clean the wood studs as required. Not very costly to avoid many problems down the road...
-cp

Mold on inside surfaces is in 99% of cases caused by internal air humidity coming in contact with cold surfaces. Apart from the temperature of the wall in question (you mention -outside surfaces!) has little bearing on the problem. I.E Get into your motor on a cold morning and sit there for a few minutes or so before you switch on the engine? Result? Humidity, condensation on the Inside of the windows but no change to the outside surfaces? Buildup of internal air humidity caused by? you! Now if you were also to boil some water in there??

Are you required to complete a real estate disclosure form when you see the hose? Will you be honest about the mold? Fix it now! -- Oren

sell the house? -- Oren

OP is obviously aware of the hazard and even posted it on the net.....
better to fix it now, and while you at it insulate if its a exterior wall......
otherwise at home resale time you will HAVE to disclose it, or lie and if you get caught pay a high priced mold mitagation firm to fix a house you dont even own......
drywall is cheap.......... fix it now, spray bleach on everything that remains
On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 13:58:51 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

A neighbor sold and moved. He had repaired a leak in the garage from a water heater. Some moving boxes were stacked in this area, along the wall during the home inspection.
The inspector found damage in the adjacent room and then went on the hunt for the mold/damage. pulled the boxes away and found the problem.
Had the real estate agent known of this problem, in the first place they could have saved tons of money. The sell was delayed until complete mitigation of the mold and all reports returned.
The owner never told the agent, so because of all the mess it had to be disclosed.
-- Oren
a neighbors sewer line was bad, and wasnt disclosed even though plumbers had been out.
new owner had troubles, happened to call a plumber who had been out for old owner.........
old owner got sued, 10 grand for new sewer line, 5 grand to replace wall and driveway and yard restoration, 5 grand for legal fees
old owner could of done job for fraction of cost. new owner didnt care, even got one nite paid in hotel room while project was going on.
disclose everything
On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 14:26:29 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"
Don't call it mold and post it on the net, until you really are sure:) -- Oren

How do you know you have mold on the inside surfaces of the wall? How did you observe this mold?
On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 21:43:58 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

Good one. What credentials does he have to determine it "toxic black mold"? -- Oren

I'm wondering if he means the interior, meaning the part you see in the room, or if he means the insides of the walls - the part only the spiders see.
On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 22:46:47 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

_"16 sq ft area of toxic black mold on both inside surfaces of a sheetrock wall, with no evidence of mold on the exterior surface."_
-- Oren

What's a 4x8 piece of sheetrock cost these days? I've never noticed. Under $20 for even the thickest?
On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 23:13:24 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

I'm allergic to work and break out in hives, so I can't answer! :-/
-- Oren
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Has anyone noticed the OP's email addy?

Maybe he is a troll or just shy:) A good subject; nonetheless.
-- Oren

Do NOT seal the wall... If the mold is there, it will stay there and it WILL make you sick.
put the bleach to it spray it on goggle is your friend

You need to kill the spores, laundry bleach does that by removing molds oxygen, I would spray down anything with mold.