Modernizing An old Hot water Heating System?

I own a 165 old stone house and my sons house is about 65 years old and we both have hot water heating systems. Like everyone else we are looking for any new technological advances that would help us improve the efficiency of our heating systems. I have a mid efficiency Viesmamn boiler thats about 15 years old and my sons boiler is about 30 years old.
Any info on how to improve the efficiency of our systems would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Jimbo

I've worked on a lot of these systems, the best way to increase efficiency is probably to install a set-back control to tune the temperature of the circulating water to the outdoor temperature and to perhaps install a flue damper to help control off-cycle heat losses. It wont't be cheap, but I think you would get at least a two year payback and after that the gains are free. This all depends on factors that I can't see from here, but I think it might work for you.
Dan
m Ransley wrote re:

Interesting. Who makes them and what model, and do they actually say R5? Does that include air leakage around the edges of the shade? How much do they cost? I haven't seen much better than R2 being produced now. Does this "R5 shade" count an R3 window?
Nick
Cost wise there is nothing that will give a payback, an auto flue damper that closes on shut down should have saftey lockouts to insure the boiler does not run should the vent become stuck or Co can poison you. This might cost 750-1000, a guess and save 5%-7 %. Making sure it is maintained and burning right is about it. Your old units may be at 50-70% efficient new units can go to 96%. Best is insulation, low E Argon windows and a new boiler. The two most cost effective things are R-5 cellular window shades and attic insulation to above code.
www.symphonyshades.com has a R 4.6 model I have a R5 model made on file somewhere.. These higher R models seal on the sides in a track. From what I have seen R 3.2 is common for cellular unless I am reading it wrong. From what I believe I see you can easily take an R 3.2 dual pane LowE argon window and go to R6.4 with Bali from HD or up to R 10 wth Tri pane Low E argon and the R 5 shade. R 7.8 would be achieved easily with dual pane LowE argon and the R 4.6 shade. Many houses actualy have R 8 to R12 walls so the energy savings is worth the price of the units.
On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 05:52:47 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (m Ransley) wrote:

I stand by my earlier advice, a condensing mode boiler is probably not a good idea unless you have underfloor radiant heat that uses low temp circulating water. The parts I suggested would cost about 500, if you're in the least handy you could probably do it. I suggest you go to heatinghelp.com and post your question on the wall, that's where the people with real expertise live.
Dan