mo(u)ding between tile and ceiling

Hi Folks,

This is my debut here, even though I have been reading the group for a while. I am in the midst of home renovations, and as each area nears completion, there are little issues that need to be addressed. One is finding a molding (or some other solution) to put between the irregular tile edges and the ceiling in the bathroom. I assume that it would be better not to use wood, because the area will obviously be subject to humidity. Can anyone suggest a solution to this and possible sources for same?

Thanks,

Reply to
Jean B.

Avoid the wood, like you mention. A photo posted would help.

Here are some tile trim. You would need to cut it properly so the patterns match.

Oren

How much of a gap is there? Is it even through the length? Nothing wrong with putting wood trim in a bathroom (it is used outdoors quite a lot :o) Just make sure it is primed and sealed/painted. If the gap is even and narrow, paintable caulk would probably work fine.

Reply to
norminn

Jean, it would be normal to cut the tile so the tile line was consistent (+/- 1/4") and caulk the remaining gap. I am guessing this won't work in your situation. There are trim pieces made of plastic that are prepainted or colored. The drawback will be that you cannot nail them to the tile, so a glue only install. Hope this helps.

Here is one manufacturer:

DanG

Yes, I had that thought re making the tops of the tiles straight. I assumed it would be, so was surprised to see the jagged edge. The gap is considerably more than 1/4 inch. I'll try to remember to eyeball it when I am at that house later today.

Thanks for the useful link. Friend seems to think this should not be wood molding. My concern is that is needs to be compatible with the tile or the wood in that bathroom, so I am also pleased to see that that molding can be painted.

Reply to
Jean B.

I haven't yet gotten a site to deposit photos on. The problem with that tile trim is that the area is irregular, both because the ceiling etc. are not totally straight etc., and because the tops of the tiles were not trimmed. Hence, the top edge of the tile wall is jagged.

Thank you for your response!

Reply to
Jean B.

The gap is certainly wider than 1/4 inch. I need to go back and look. I'd say (but my memory is not great) that it is more than an inch at its narrowest! And the tile tops are jagged. The ceiling, too, I gather is not perfectly even.

I did start thinking that wood IS a possibility, so we will have to see what will work esthetically.

Thanks!

Reply to
Jean B.

What did your tile man say when you asked him about a solution?

And why would you expect the tile tops to be trimmed? OK, if he tiled to the ceiling he might have had to trim some to fit but should have done so automatically. If none of the tiles go to the ceiling, all the tops should line up in a nice straight line. In either case, the space between tile tops and ceiling should be small - say 1/4" or less - and grouted.

Since your tile tops are irregular, about all you can do is cover them. Cover them with what? Wood, of course, no reason not to use it, there is lots of wood in a bathroom...cabinets, doors, toilet seats sometimes, studs in the wall, etc.

Another "covering" possibility is to grout in the area then have someone paint a decorative border over it and a portion of the tiles.

Reply to
dadiOH

You *paid* someone to do a butchered tile job??? If you did, make him fix it.

Reply to
dadiOH

Jean,

I've got a similar issue in my soon to be tiled bathroom. I'm doing all the walls and want a nearly full tile just above the tub rim with the top and bottom tiles about the same size. That leaves a gap of an inch and a half at the ceiling. The scale of the room doesn't allow for regular crown moulding so I plan on using an exterior shingle moulding that is an inch and 5/8ths.

The big box stores have them in the millwork department in various shapes and sizes at about $1 per foot. They are white solid vinyl, and can be painted. I should be able to miter them, glue them in and then tile. Zero maintenance and a nice detail in a small bathroom.

You can use real wood (not MDF). A coat of primer and a couple coats of finish and you are good for several years. Since your tile is already there, you might want to fur out the wall so the moulding sits plumb.

Good luck.

dss

Reply to
dss

He was a contractor who obviously did not specialize in tile, in spite of his claim to be good at it. I did question this at the time, but the other party did not listen to me! I have learned from this, and we have hired an expert for the other tile work.

But that is not the case.

Yesterday we did get some wood molding. It was pretty cheap, and it will also be treated before it is used.

Well, that may work in some instances, but I guess we'll try the wood first.

Thanks!

Reply to
Jean B.

Yes, he was paid. I do learn, and I was skeptical about using this person. I don't know that I want him to do anything more with the tile--or that he can do it.

Reply to
Jean B.

Thanks, and good luck to you. We will try treated wood first. I understand that there was no good solution for the relatively small area above the tile as far as tile goes, but he could at least have left a straight edge.

Reply to
Jean B.

he could have measured it and cheat the grout spacing as he went along

Reply to
a2rjh