mineral spirits vs paint thinner

When do you use one as opposed to the other?
Which should I use to thin polyurethane?
--
Uno

Uno wrote:

The container will instruct you as to what is compatible w/ the contents therein.
On 8/27/2010 6:06 PM, Uno wrote:

More or less interchangeable. Mineral spirits are used as paint thinner. Something labeled paint thinner may have some higher boiling additives and not dry as fast.

Paint thinner works fine on Poly
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: ...

Unless, of course, it doesn't... :)
There are also water-based polyurethane finishes...
Again, the container will disclose the proper thinner to be used, if any.

I assumed we were talking about spirit based poly. If it was water based you would thin it with water but I bet the OP knew that.
<stuff snipped>

When they tell you what to clean it up with, they're often telling you what thins it. It certainly implies a solvent-relationship. But I wouldn't say that's universally true, but it certainly aligns with DPB's comments about the can.
-- Bobby G.
On 8/30/2010 11:37 AM, Robert Green wrote:

Thx, bobby, because that's where I'm getting to.
I put on the second coat of exterior helmsman poly tonight.
sanded with 150 in my hand only
The can indicated to use mineral spirits for some aspect. I put just a schluck of mineral spirits on a dry cloth to prepare the surface after sanding.
3 coats exterior poly recommended. judy is gone for another week.
Why not give her a threshold that is maximally built-up in her absence? (I don't want to tell her husband that I gave his threshold more than 4 coats because I didn't know to stop.)
--
Uno