meter can installation

I'm mounting a new meter can and running 4/0 through the knock-out in the back of the can and directly inside through an 18" brick wall. Do I need anything like a knock-out plug for the back of the box or can I just run the wire through the knock-out hole.

If anything, I'd be worried about water getting back down through that hole.

thanks,

-jason

Reply to
Jason Rogers

If your running service entrance cable you need service entrance cable connectors, if your using PVC, you need PVC connectors. You never just run cables or conductors through an open knockout, Especially into an unfused meter pan

Reply to
RBM

Where I live, because this is the electrical service you would need to install a metal nipple between the meter can and the panel inside, along with the bond bushings.

Every jurisdiction and utility are slightly different from locality to locality. Get a local pro to point you in the correct direction.

Reply to
SQLit

SQL is right, you will need to hear what the local rule is. Here (SW Fla) they want a PVC nipple between the meter can and the service disconnect enclosure to prevent a parallel neutral path. The utility will bond the neutral in their can and you are supposed to bond it in your disconnect so that steel conduit, if used, would carry current. Use plastic and you still have a single return path down the grounded conductor. Alternately you could use SE cable but you still need the proper connectors on each end. Caulk the meter can in on the top and sides, no matter what you end up doing to keep the moisture out. Let it breathe on the bottom.

Reply to
gfretwell