Metal Shingles advice

Do any home owners have recommendations?

I have been looking at metal roofing shingles for over 2 years now, and I have to make a decision.

I live in Florida. I replaced my roof (myself) 20 years ago with standard asphalt shingles. They have turned into junk and now I have to re-shingle. Since I don't ever want to have to do this again, I am looking at metal shingles, but am having trouble deciding. Due to deed restrictions, I need to stick with shingles.

The top contenders are stainless steel millennium tiles:

coated steel:
galvanized:
are listed in decreasing price order.

The stainless look best from a theoretical standpoint, but appear to be very labor intensive to install. They offer a Zalmag product which would be less expensive and work very well too, but it has almost the same installation disadvantages. In addition, both of these cost the most and would really look the most unusual. The stone coated steel look the most like regular (junk) asphalt shingles, but I think are very pricey for a steel based product. There is a Gerard equivalent, but it costs about the same. The Tamko product is the lowest cost metal shingle, but it appears to be fairly thin and is only Kynar coated G-90 galvanized steel.

I am aware of other metal shingle manufacturers, but Follensbee is too expensive and those aluminum shingles with exposed fasteners wouldn't be workable in Florida.

To anyone having experience with metal roofing: Please post comments that can help me decide what to do. Also, I would like to see recommendations on where to buy these for the best price.

I would REALLY appreciate your informed comments about this topic.

Reply to
steve.tonnesen