metal kitchen sink on corian countertop

I've got a metal sink that has a thin protruding caulk line around it on top of the corian countertop. I'm not there right now but I did see it and I'd say it's around 1/8" or less bead around sink whick lays on top of countertop. Part of the caulking is kinda rough or scraped up while the other parts are still smooth. It's not leaking any water underneath but for the future, what's the best way to try to remove the roughed up portion and recaulk it? I'd probably try to use my finger to run the new caulking around. I'm thinking it's probably best to remove the old as much as possible before recaulking. I don't mean that I'd lift the sink but rather try to remove as much caulking with the sink in place. If I do remove the old stuff and being it's like 1/8" protruding, what's the best way to remove it while not damaging the countertop. I know Corian is resilient but I really don't want to scape it any more than necessary? I do not know how hard the old caulking is but as I recall I touched it and it felt stiff but I didn't put my fingernail into it. If it matters this sink installation and house is about 6 years old.
On 1/14/2012 10:22 AM, Doug wrote:

I have no idea what was used. If it was truly caulk, I would start with a razor blade scraper. If it was some form of epoxy, it may be much harder to cut and to remove. I doubt that it is epoxy because it is messed up. Sounds like someone got into the caulk with the wrong type of scrubber or wrong chemical.
Again, I would start out with a razor blade scraper or really sharp carpenter's wood chisel.
--

Keep the whole world singing . . .

I think you are right about the scrubber or wrong chemical. That helps me a bit for something I didn't ask... thanks !!

This sounds like the stuff I need including something else I need for a tub. Thanks !!!
Oren wrote:

Scraping off putty is way easier on the blade than cutting wood :)
--

dadiOH

A plastic putty knife could be one tool to use, if there is enough clearance. It's unfortunate that with a 6 year old sink they didn't undermount it.