Measuring Electrical Useage

Page 2 of 2

On Tue, 2 Jan 2007 09:12:03 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (---MIKE---) wrote:

Yes, not electric, but the company I worked for had an enormous phone bill. I think that might have been what caused them to install not-cheap software to monitor every extension and see which ones were calling long distance.
It turned out to be the Coke machine. The coke machine was designed to call the supplier when it was about to run out of syrup or soda or cups. But it broke and it called constantly, 24 hours a day, day after day. I guess the supplier was in the next country or far enough away for it to be a toll call.

mm wrote:

They had to install software to track all the extensions to figure this out? One look at a detailed bill would show all the calls to a single number and looking up that number would pretty well isolate it.
Pete C.
Rob wrote:

Did you read the meter when you moved in? and then read it about every 3 days so you could check it with the bill?
You may have excessive electric usage and you may have a previous owner that misread the meter when he moved.
Another possibility is that someone is stealing electricity via a hidden connection.
The answer to the question is that yes you can buy a device to measure usage of plug in appliances. Others here will give you a link to watt meters. Very handy for figuring out how much electricity various appliances actually use.

You don't need to wait an hour to get your usage. Just turn on the appliance and count the rotations of the wheel in the city meter. Call the utility and tell them what meter you have and they will give you the usage per rotation.
Time to get a new fridge. The new side by side use a fraction of the power that my old one did.
All my lights are florescent, too.

A new fridge is probably a good idea, but as an interim measure, OP may want to get the current one serviced or cleaned. Those built-in ones often collect a whole bunch of gunk (dust, cooking grease, etc) on the coils. Also need to do the 'dollar bill' test on the gasket- it may be getting tired. The freon may have leaked down a tad, as well.
Of course, if OP has to pay someone to do that, it may be a significant fraction of the cost of a replacement. Standard logic about repair costs versus expected remaining lifespan, compared to replacement costs and increased energy efficency, apply.
aem sends...
Demane your power company check the meter and refuse to pay your bill till they do.

Rob wrote: ...

You have received a lot of good advice. I will add that the dehumidifier can be a heavy user and if you are living in an old swamp, even a sump pump can use a lot.
Don't forget to compare usage with usage not $$ with $$ rates vary greatly. Also you may have a bad meter and or the billing period may include time other than when you owned the home and or some sort of start up fees.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit