Measuring Electrical Useage

A new fridge is probably a good idea, but as an interim measure, OP may want to get the current one serviced or cleaned. Those built-in ones often collect a whole bunch of gunk (dust, cooking grease, etc) on the coils. Also need to do the 'dollar bill' test on the gasket- it may be getting tired. The freon may have leaked down a tad, as well.

Of course, if OP has to pay someone to do that, it may be a significant fraction of the cost of a replacement. Standard logic about repair costs versus expected remaining lifespan, compared to replacement costs and increased energy efficency, apply.

aem sends...

Reply to
<aemeijers

I have a similar meter bought at Canadian Tire for less than C$20 on sale that does the same thing. It is a Model EM100 Energy Meter from UPM. Measure instantaneous amps and KW draw as well as accumulated power usage.

So for a fridge that has an on-off cycle, you would want to leave it connected for a day or so and calculate the average draw. I have used it for that purpose on my boat refrig unit just to see how overall power usage compares with instantaneous current draw (Provides a measure of how well the icebox is insulated)

Graham

Reply to
Gm1234

Reply to
someone

Rob wrote: ...

You have received a lot of good advice. I will add that the dehumidifier can be a heavy user and if you are living in an old swamp, even a sump pump can use a lot.

Don&#39;t forget to compare usage with usage not $$ with $$ rates vary greatly. Also you may have a bad meter and or the billing period may include time other than when you owned the home and or some sort of start up fees.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Yes, not electric, but the company I worked for had an enormous phone bill. I think that might have been what caused them to install not-cheap software to monitor every extension and see which ones were calling long distance.

It turned out to be the Coke machine. The coke machine was designed to call the supplier when it was about to run out of syrup or soda or cups. But it broke and it called constantly, 24 hours a day, day after day. I guess the supplier was in the next country or far enough away for it to be a toll call.

Reply to
mm

They had to install software to track all the extensions to figure this out? One look at a detailed bill would show all the calls to a single number and looking up that number would pretty well isolate it.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

It is one designed to be built in so it has stainless slant venting above the fridge built into the cabinetry.....

Rob

Reply to
Rob