Maytag Washing Machine Fill Valve problem

I just inherited a Maytag washer thats about 30 years old. It still runs like new, and is like new because I got it from a relative who rarely used it and spent years in a nursing home while the machine got no use. Except the fill valve valve, the machine runs great. The fill valve works fine on the cold water but the hot side is fills real slow, and never shuts all the way off, so the machine very slowly fills even when not in use or even plugged in. I have to shut the water off after each use or it runs over and makes a big mess. When I opened it up, I found both the solenoids are working so the valve must be stuck. I also found the hoses on the inside from the fill valve to the tub are very brittle and one broke off at the fill valve. I was able to patch something together and reconnect it so I can use the washer.

Anyhow, they want quite a bit of money for the valve, and the hoses are outrageously priced for a couple feet of 1/2" diameter hose.

Before I stick a lot of money into this machine I want to use it a little longer to see if anything else breaks down. I am also going to check into using some dairy tubing instead of the expensive hoses.

My reason in posting this is to find out if those fill valves are repairable, or will I destroy it by opening it? They look simple enough and are put together with screws so I know it will come apart.

Has anyone ever worked on one?

Thanks

Mark

Reply to
maradcliff

If you're at all handy, you can easily replace it. They're only a few dollars at an appliance repair parts place. Don't even think about trying to repair the one you have.

Here's instructions on how to replace it.

Edw.

Reply to
Special Ed

Where are the instructions ????? Actually I know how to replace it, but not a few bucks. They want around $50 for the valve, and another $45 for the hoses and injector. Before I spend $100 on it, I want to be sure everything else is working well.

However, tomorrow I plan to go scrounging. Several local appliance stores leave all their junked machines outside. One never knows what might be there.... Since they have to pay to dispose of them, they are always happy to give them away.

Reply to
maradcliff