Maytag washer agitator problems?

A week or so ago I had a problem with my Maytag.......I smelled rubber burning and at the same time heard a squealing sound. It also appeared that the tub didn't want to spin and empty out.

I posted here about my problem.........

This washer is a top loading Maytag, model A308/A308S. I thought it was bought new at least 15 years ago....in reality I bought it new 26 years ago...it's faithfully served a family of 2 since then, never needing any repairs or adjustments.

To fix the squealing problem, I tipped the washer on its side, and tightened the belt that run between the 2 small pulleys. I think thats the "pump" drive. It was quite loose. The other belt was not as loose, so I left it alone.

After tightening the one belt, all seemed to be ok at first. We used the washer in a normal fashion for several days, did numerous loads. Filling and draining was normal, tub spun fast and quietly........then we noticed that the agitator didn't move back and forth very vigorously. It was very "lazy".....just kinda gently moved, nothing like what is necessary to get clothes clean. Nothing like the sharp "jerk"... back and forth that it usta do.

Could it be that the other belt needs tightening? The one that goes to the larger pulley? Or is this a belt thing at all?

When I tightened the one belt, I turned all the pulleys, and they all seemed free, no heavy drag or grinding sounds.

I would appreciate any comments or help that you folks can give me. Thank you..... Lee Carkenord

Reply to
carkenord

IIRC, there is no tensioning adjustment like you'd find on a fan belt of an auto engine. The motor mount is spring loaded and slides back and forth. Cold be it is not sliding. There could be weak or broken springs or, after

26 years, other parts wearing out and ready to go.

It is also possible that the belts have stretched and can no longer tighten as needed for proper operation. They do war and stretch over time and even though them may look OK to the eye, performance is suffering.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

rubber

appeared

ago...it's

quietly........then

Hi,

Some possible trouble makers:

- drive belt is worn and need replacing

- you have the pump belt too tight

- both above

- motor track is rusty/sticky/dirty

- motor spring(s) is broken/rusted

- transmission oil is thick from age

- transmission agitation seal is seizing

Possible to replace the drive belt, loosen that pump belt a bit (

) clean and lube the motor tracks and inspect the motor track springs, sand/clean up the motor pulley.

belt.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid